New Rules for an old Engine?

Hey good morning to all the Flathead faithful! I love reading thoughts and opinions on this page and I cant think of a more knowledgeable place for information. After reading the latest conversation on cams and opinions it occurred to me that there really aren't new engines being cast and assembled. I'm sure there are a few high end blocks and cranks being supplied but those are out of reach for the most of us.
Would it not be a good idea, now that the end of Flatties is on the horizon, to make a new set of rules that let the existing blocks last a little longer? How about a cam that doesn't beat the valve train to death? It seems that this could be the one biggest issue these little guys have. Gentle valve train that keeps the existing power where its fun but not pretending to skirt the rules by smashing the valves around.
It might be a little late to change things for a dated engine. Of course I might be way off base. Ale.

That ship sailed in 1995. Currently, new cam cores are unavailable to grind or regrind. We could have the ChiComs cast some new blanks for us, but the demand is not sufficient to make that investment. Most rules now allow billet cams in the stock classes for this reason alone.
I don't see going back to the old 89-7exp grinds as a way to help the class where it still exists. Going slower is never attractive. :)
Now, the limiteds are allowed +.080" which helps significantly.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Rules for lift only would increase both performance and longevity of valve train....The old 233 cheater cams for instance. But there would still be the shortage of cores. Using just about any other carb would lower cost and have a tendency to level competition.

Back