New tires?

Most I know with Maxxis prep the inside first, then scuff. That way you're heat cycling with the prep already in the tire.

Everyone has their own methods though... whatever works for you!

Good posts above - let me add:
I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
A lot of times, tires are scuffed months ahead of time, then internal prepped as you get closer to race day (10-14 days out.)
Different internals need differing amounts of cure time as well.
...Are you wanting to break down the sidewalls, soften the tire, toughen the tire, just add oil to the tire, put a heat cycle in the tire, etc.
Occasionally the track doesn't bite up enough to put a heat cycle through the tire and that changes your plans.

No doubt, the advantage of experience is on the side of the veterans and those with an arsenal of tires to choose from. They'll be prepared better than your average racers because they know from experience what to expect from a track, and even when the weather throws a curve ball, they'll be ready.

I think this is a big reason that you see so many "tire guys" in our industry (in the shop and at the track.)
Everyone that I know on the tire side of things in karting is booked 4-6 weeks back right now, myself included. I could hire 3 men full time this time of year and still not keep up with customer orders. We're trying to fill them 18-20 hours a day 6 days a week and still can't get caught up. It'll slow back down eventually, but right now, it's off the hook!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Just getting back into racing with my son. Quit about 8yrs ago. Want to start with new tires. Always bought used before.. What is best way to scuff without going to track. Don't have tire sander. But im a woodworker with plenty of Sanders. Just not sure where to begin with new tires. Want to be ready to race in about 6 wks.

You might do better on some used tires early in the year - kinda depends on car count and weather too.
You can sand the tires (refinish) them, but that's not the same as "scuffing" them on a track.
If you can't get on a track, maybe a smooth parking lot (just don't chew the tires up.)
If you can only refinish the tires, then do it lightly, and then stick them in a hot box and heat cycle them artificially. A heat gun could work in a pinch, but track scuffing them seems to be the preferred way.

I watched a guy after a heat race put his kart up on the stand, light up a Camel light, start it up with a 4in grinding disc in one hand and work the throttle with the other, all while smoking a cig. That's when I realized I was way over complicating things lol

I watched a guy after a heat race put his kart up on the stand, light up a Camel light, start it up with a 4in grinding disc in one hand and work the throttle with the other, all while smoking a cig. That's when I realized I was way over complicating things lol
No your not over complicating it, He was just clueless on proper procedure.

You might do better on some used tires early in the year - kinda depends on car count and weather too.
You can sand the tires (refinish) them, but that's not the same as "scuffing" them on a track.
If you can't get on a track, maybe a smooth parking lot (just don't chew the tires up.)
If you can only refinish the tires, then do it lightly, and then stick them in a hot box and heat cycle them artificially. A heat gun could work in a pinch, but track scuffing them seems to be the preferred way.
And If you heat cycle them with artificial heat, Scuff them on track during practice the day of the race, best is scuff them on track a week ahead but if that's not an option do it race day.

Something else to keep in mind when scuffing tires on track is that you don't really want to be sliding around and dirt tracking like a sprint car lol You don't want to glaze the tire over and over-work it in the wrong way, you're just trying to run them through their first heat cycle.

How many laps would sucffing take?
Thanks for info.
Depends on how well the tire is hooking up to the current track condition when scuffing, if you feel it's hooking up good 8 laps are enough, if when you go out your still lacking to much grip after 2 laps might need 12 laps, our best chance to scuff maxxis in on a fri night track that stays wet slick we've done as many as 15. You don't want to overheat them but the goal is a good heat cycle.

Back