New to forum and karting...

You may need a chain breaker to add or subtract links .
The axle , I would agree should be even on both sides though I am not at all familiar with that chassis . That is essentially a big change . With out scales you may or may not be ok . Still I think of the cuff I would change it .
You definitely do not want to be dragging the seat , or running over rumble strips .
I think I was the only one on the track at the time and in hindsight I should have probably not floored it and went up over that hump..lol...
I almost bought a link breaker when I bought the new sprockets but I had just bought that beacon as well and to be honest I've been spending quite a bit for the three 8 lap sessions I've had and didn't want to spend more. I'm sure I could grind out one of the links for a medium setup if need be... I will buy one in the future but I like to limit my spending per month per say..
Yes I could see offsetting the axle a little bit if I was going only one way but on the sprint track I'm going both. Of course 5 times left and only two times right...

Chain breaker will be alot easier than trying to grind out links. Then you have spare links if need be. In the grand scheme of racing some tools are pretty essential.

Chain breaker will be alot easier than trying to grind out links. Then you have spare links if need be. In the grand scheme of racing some tools are pretty essential.
I'll get out in the shop in the next couple hours here and see how far off I am. I can always run up to what's the kart shop about 25 minutes away and go get one... I realize I'll need one anyways...

Maximum torque at the axle means maximum horsepower at the axle.

Torque curves have a peak, your shift points should be on either side of that peak. Winding the engine past that point, other than high gear, means a slower rate of acceleration.

First thing I ran into as I loosened the axle is I noticed the break rotor was kind of flopping around a little bit at its attachment points to the axle? Does that seem right?... Also it doesn't look like there's a master link on the chain that's on there...

Yes thus the chain breaker .
Brake hub loose or rotor loose on hub . Could be by design .
Jex made one and I have seen some loose purpously .
Euro kart could have a floating rotor .

Last edited:
Yes this the chain breaker .
Brake hub loose or rotor loose on hub . Could be by design .
Jex made one and I have seen some loose purpously .
Euro kart could have a floating rotor .
Thank you I'm pretty sure it is designed that way..

Yes. Both of our karts have a floating brake disk. You will need a chain breaker if it's 219 chain and you want it shorter. Plus it saves pulling the axle.

Yes. Both of our karts have a floating brake disk. You will need a chain breaker if it's 219 chain and you want it shorter. Plus it saves pulling the axle.
I went DEFCON 5 and pulled out the grinder/cutter and made short work of both. Made short work of getting the old chain off with no master link and cutting the new one to the proper length..

I got some seat time today. So my beacon works and I was able to actually get a recorded time. I was averaging around 49 seconds per lap. I did get a 48... I have a 16 sprocket on the front and went from a 59 on the back that was yielding 5500 RPMs at the end of the straight away to a 62 tooth rear sprocket that is now yielding 5800.. I talked to the local kart shop guy and he was saying the 62 should be plenty and possibly I'm not exiting the corner fast enough, but I keep thinking in my own mind is he taking inconsideration that I'm 240 lb plus??..
IMG_20201015_174225.jpg

Last edited:
It's not a drag race . More seat time should improve that . Or try for more rpm as long as the time goes down .
Cut a small piece of a pop can 1/8th inch wide an inch long slip it under the master link clip fold both side over . Added insurance the clip won't pop off . You do have the open end trailing not leading ?

It's not a drag race . More seat time should improve that . Or try for more rpm as long as the time goes down .
Cut a small piece of a pop can 1/8th inch wide an inch long slip it under the master link clip fold both side over . Added insurance the clip won't pop off . You do have the open end trailing not leading ?
Thank you for the tip!!.. just by dumb luck the open end of the clip is trailing...
Also by dumb luck I have a pack of 5 Master links that I ordered on Amazon for a couple mini bikes I was working on a few months ago and keep those in my to the track pack...
The weather is holding so I'm going to try and go tomorrow as well and just like everybody is saying and I believe also get more seat time.
I probably need help with my thinking here but even if I was banging off the rev limiter a ways before the end of the straight away that is only a small portion of the track. The larger portion of the track is corners going in and exiting and in my small mind I think having the RPMs up a little bit more in that area will help?... Thinking at the very least I would have to see the rev limiter at the end of the longest straight away which basically there's only two other small stretches that I can call straight away and definitely nowhere near rev limiter on those... Then again where is the real torque of the motor?.. at the rev limiter or somewhere else??..
Sunday I plan to drive an hour and a half out of town to McMinnville and see a sanctioned club race... I'm told there's a very large class for the lo206 so I'm eager to go there and just see what everybody's doing and how the races and all that pan out. I won't be bringing my kart has I'm not a member... more just want to see if I can pick up any of the little tricks like you were just telling me with the master link...

That seems reasonable .
Look at your mychron . Fastest lap was 5805 rpm .
The other two were more and less rpm yet slower .

That seems reasonable .
Look at your mychron . Fastest lap was 5805 rpm .
The other two were more and less rpm yet slower .
Yes I was kind of noticing that myself..
I do have the 61 that's brand new as well and maybe tomorrow I can try the two different sprockets. for all I know I could have been going faster with the 59 originally but hadn'tgotten my beacon to make my mychron work...
I had about 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch of slack in my chain to start with but it's a brand new chain and when I was done there was plenty more than that. I hadn't checked it yet. Is it common for these chains to stretch a little bit their first time out? Or do they continually stretch? Thank you for helping me out..

One thing that seemed nice was all the other practice karts on the track we're all shifters.. so on one hand it was like I had the track to myself because they will have to race around me and I get to hold my exact line... And when they would pass me I would try my very best for as long as I could not to lose them which in my mind was kind of making me better but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. I would assume they're going to hold a much tighter line and I am and I'm going to have a much wider line around the corners to keep momentum...

Well I didn't get out for more seat time the next day but yesterday I did go to my first sanctioned race.. wow! Was that ever exciting... The lo206 class that I would be in for the older fat people how about 6 carts and I was told there was about four or five missing that day. Very competitive class and it looked like a lot of fun... The world formula clash in my age and weight was also extremely competitive and had at least 10 carts which was the biggest class. I'm afraid because of my weight and even if I lose weight this would probably be the class that I would have to go to if I was to ever think of being competitive. I can lose 10 lb but if I lose 30 lb my goodness I'm going to look like I'm hungry all the time...
Of course the particular track that I went to requires their own tires so I need to get those if I want to race there. It was a more wide open less technical track than the one that I'm close to. I see that as a plus going to the local track being much more technical... I'm assuming this will give me better experience... but for this winter hopefully I'll get a bunch more seat time and more confidence...

I did get another month and a half of seat time before the tracks pretty much closed down at the beginning of December..
I got a couple half wet days in that improve my driving..
Yesterday I went off the deep end..
Bought a WF engine and left it for blue printing.. It turns out that the local old fan man class (that's me 390+) is mostly WF... Although another $$ hit still not in the ballpark of two stroke..
I did drive my friends paddle shifter kart and that was something, I still like where I'm at..
I'm hoping the WF will give me the little extra I'm looking for..
I've lost 19lb's and basically back to where I was at this time last year but need to loose another 15 or so and I've sold myself on the idea that I want to run the electric start..

Totally revamped the kart...
New world formula engine and accessories... I had the clutch blueprint which consist of I think putting softer Springs to make it engage a couple hundred RPM sooner?.. also was recommended to go to an 18 tooth sprocket? I went ahead to the 219 chain.. I mounted a lithium ion battery underneath the cowl (if that's what it's called). I kept the electric start... I put a start and a stop button on the steering wheel... I bought all new rims and tires including wider 212 back rims allowing me to get full 55 inch width across the back axle and not have the hubs hanging on by a thread... Basically I'm ready.

Back