new to forum flathead build help!

chriskbmx

i just got a aluminum bore 5hp briggs, that is a bushing motor that i am trying to build into a fun little motor for my kart. This is what i had planned. I also have a few questions.

First the formula i am thinking.

I am skimming .030 off the head and cutting a fire slot about .1 though i have a few questions about overall dimensions of the slot.

i was looking at running a 94ss cam
billet fly wheel/ or cast aluminum?
billet rod
double valve springs
stock lifters and valves though i am open to sugestions
stock crank
some kind of tuned exhaust
and some kind of carb, id like to run on alcohol but have no idea how to go about that.

Here are the questions
Does the head work sound appropriate?
Any exhaust dimensions on how i should cut the fire slot?
can i get away with a cast aluminum flywheel to 7k?
I am also curious about boring out the block to except bearings instead of the standard bushings.
Can i convert the stock carb to alcohol? or should i go for an after market carb?
Where exactly should i weld the lifter bore? pics?
Im trying to get the most out of this engine for as cheap as possible, but no corner skipping
Can i go with a bigger cam or this appropriate for my build? should i cut valve reliefts?

thanks for answering my questions!

Outlaw 17 I'm sure you probably answered all of his questions, but for the benefit of any new guys reading this post, DO NOT ever run a cast aluminum flywheel, it's an explosion waiting to happen, if you don't have or can afford a billet, then use the stock cast iron 5hp wheel which has been proven safe over he years to at least 8000, which is a conservative number. Jon

Like Jon said, I agree with his point. Dont run the cast aluminum flywheels. I have a good flathead and running a stock cast flywheel. Havent had no problems turning the motor hard with that flywheel. But it would be better to get a billet flywheel if u had the money.

follow advice given above.
Cam is fine. springs may be a little heavy. milling the head is questionable.
cast flywheel do not use.
can't make it accept bearings.
do you have a source for methanol? carb can be modified . not sure its worth it for everyday use.
Exhaust pipes are cheap in the classifieds.

Back