New to go karting got this thing need guidance.

djsnaps12

20200913_175249.jpg

Ok so I got this for free. So my understanding is a 16 year old kid was trying to build it. First I have no idea if this is a hand made frame or if it's a true frame.

Also he has a 3.5 yard machine mower engine on it which my father in-law bought a clutch for it but doesn't fit cause I think it was for a actual go kart motor.

The wheels are harbour freight so I know they won't work.

My question is can this motor work or do I need to start all over and is this a legitimate frame. Also I think the brake is upside down or maybe not cause the real wheels are slicks.

Little help and guidance would be nice. This build will be for my kids.

what do you expect to to with it? If you plan to let kids ride around you need to install a roll cage. Brakes just rub the tires, that is how they work. It was made years ago as a yard kart. Clutches are made for different shaft diameters. Picture is how the roll cage should be. Too many kids killed running under stuff without the front bars.

1600036804464.png

Great deal for free . As a racing kart it won't work at all .
The clutch should be 3/4 " I'd . Measure the shaft .
The brakes are . correct . Definition is scrub brakes .
You might want a different rear tire so as the scrub is more on the tire .
Plywood , foam and naugahyde for the seat .
Throttle limiter or stop .
It may or may not be a manufacturered unit , it's likely .
Be safe no street operation . It's by definition a yard kart .

Yes I had planned on putting a roll cage on it. My father in law is a welder. So that's not a problem. I guess my idea for it is, to get it running but need instruction on how to do so. Or diagram to look at as far how clutch is set up sprocket etc. I mean I work on cars shouldn't be to hard once I have the basic knowledge. On how everything is set up.

My cousin built a yard kart for the kids some time ago, kids ain't seen it yet lol. Go for the biggest axle gear and the smallest engine gear you can get on it.

I hope you don't plan on running this on the street!! It's not a "Kart", It's a "FUN" kart. I don't know of any kart tracks in the country that will allow it! It's illegal to drive it on the streets! It's dangerous with scrub brakes!! Maybe in a parking lot, "WITH BLOCKED ACCESS."
If you have calipers, measure the crankshaft. More than likely it's 3/4" or 1 inch. Any 3/4" centrifugal clutch will work on it. Maybe there's a kart shop in your town, or close.

I here ya guys on not running it in the street but we live way out in the country not many cars out here. We have 2 acres. So are you saying don't drive it on the street for safety reasons or for the legality of it. Either way we have land to run it on.

Sometimes accidents happen In the most unlikely places. The road (no matter how remote) and a parking lot, are not on my list of unlikely places. They're on my "Most likely" places list

Yes I had planned on putting a roll cage on it. My father in law is a welder. So that's not a problem. I guess my idea for it is, to get it running but need instruction on how to do so. Or diagram to look at as far how clutch is set up sprocket etc. I mean I work on cars shouldn't be to hard once I have the basic knowledge. On how everything is set up.
Look here https://www.bmikarts.com/Double-Flange-Wheel-Hub-with-60T-35-Sprocket_p_2767.html .
That being the wrong wheel . Couple ways to do it . You need too adapt a sprocket to the wheel . The hub there is too wide . That's why it's not centered on the brake pad . You might flip it and get it closer .
A small pipe /ring spacer from the wheel to the sprocket . At whatever distance needed to align with clutch .

Look here https://www.bmikarts.com/Double-Flange-Wheel-Hub-with-60T-35-Sprocket_p_2767.html .
That being the wrong wheel . Couple ways to do it . You need too adapt a sprocket to the wheel . The hub there is too wide . That's why it's not centered on the brake pad . You might flip it and get it closer .
A small pipe /ring spacer from the wheel to the sprocket . At whatever distance needed to align with clutch .

Thanks that was exactly what I couldn't figure out on this cause the axel goes all the way through the pipe. But this makes since now.

Yes it's one wheel drive .
Watch that the rear tires have air always . And don't make the brake super tight . The one we had would catch and rotate the brake pad all the way around and down . Then no worky .

So I have been looking at these wheel hubs with disc breaking would that be a better way to go then the paddle break.

Personally , I would not switch it over . The scrub brakes work for the intended use .
If your switching over too hydraulic you may as well just get a different chassis with wheels and brakes already on it .
Mechanical disc might not be any better then scrub .
You need a brake on each wheel with the setup you have so that's an issue .

Personally , I would not switch it over . The scrub brakes work for the intended use .
If your switching over too hydraulic you may as well just get a different chassis with wheels and brakes already on it .
Mechanical disc might not be any better then scrub .
You need a brake on each wheel with the setup you have so that's an issue .

Ok good info I have also seen where people have cut the back end off and welded in for a free moving axel and done the disc brakes like that. I also noticed that they cut some of the bars off on this which worry's me. Just wondering if it's worth keeping this frame or just building new with plans cause my father in-law is a welder of 40 years or just reinforce this.

16001848359927643468898836042128.jpg
16001848837154606614459245144120.jpg

:) I been welding longer then that . That doesn't mean I wanna modify or build a new chassis for the grand kids .
It's your choice fix what you have , build new or buy ready made .
Me I'd get that going or buy different .

Back