New to kart racing in NC.

Hello, new to kart racing here. I'm about to purchase my first kart chassis. I plan on racing in medium predator class at Liberty and Coleridge some and might even race at AAR. Being this is the beginners forum and this gets asked all the time, but what would be recommendations for a clutch, tires, wheels, just about any part, tip, or advice you could give me. I've been to the tracks a couple times and have asked questions but you can never know enough about something. I'm not expecting to go out there and win every single race but I would like to be competitive once I've had some seat time. I appreciate anyone that took the time to read this and responds!

liberty, can run disk clutch, they are on maxxis tires, figure out what chassis you'll be on and there will be some guys on here to give you some good set up numbers! and for being competitive, there is plenty of competition there, good luck, have fun

liberty, can run disk clutch, they are on maxxis tires, figure out what chassis you'll be on and there will be some guys on here to give you some good set up numbers! and for being competitive, there is plenty of competition there, good luck, have fun
Thanks for the reply! I’m going to be running on a titan. I got what I felt was a good deal on it for just starting and learning on. More expensive stuff will come later as I gain skill and knowledge.

Make sure the same clutch is legal at all the places you are planning on running or you will be buying more clutches. I would only buy a clutch with changeable drivers if you need to get a drum clutch, so that a quick driver change can put you where you want to be at all tracks.

Bully style clutches are legal about anywhere in the Carolinas. Maxxis tires are raced at all the tracks mentioned, and a whole lot more.
Wheels, new, at the moment are very hard to find or even get, so finding some good used wheels would be an option.
Those 2 tracks (Liberty, Coleridge) are both extremely competitive fields of racers so getting seat time is important.

Bully style clutches are legal about anywhere in the Carolinas. Maxxis tires are raced at all the tracks mentioned, and a whole lot more.
Wheels, new, at the moment are very hard to find or even get, so finding some good used wheels would be an option.
Those 2 tracks (Liberty, Coleridge) are both extremely competitive fields of racers so getting seat time is important.
Thanks for the reply! Would you happen to know of somewhere maybe less competitive to race at before jumping over to Liberty and Coleridge?

Thanks for the reply! Would you happen to know of somewhere maybe less competitive to race at before jumping over to Liberty and Coleridge?
You could maybe try Old Stateline, and most sundays after race day liberty and Stateline both will open track up for practice so that is something to take into consideration, go turn some laps and see how the kart does and also compare lap times to what the guys was turning during the race. Providence raceway is a great track also in VA, good luck, and have fun

Are you running in a modified class? A Hillard Inferno clutch is a safe bet as most places and race series will accept it. As for tires, check with you track and see what folks run in your series. MG Red Tires is what everyone runs near me, or Vega Reds for series races. Maxxis is run but only if you plan on running in a Maxxis sponsored/ series event. Where I'm at, Maxxis tires are not that popular and/or sotafter.

Are you running in a modified class? A Hillard Inferno clutch is a safe bet as most places and race series will accept it. As for tires, check with you track and see what folks run in your series. MG Red Tires is what everyone runs near me, or Vega Reds for series races. Maxxis is run but only if you plan on running in a Maxxis sponsored/ series event. Where I'm at, Maxxis tires are not that popular and/or sotafter.
Stock Predator class is what I plan to run in, at least for a couple years. I don't have the money some of these cats have to throw at a clone.

You could maybe try Old Stateline, and most sundays after race day liberty and Stateline both will open track up for practice so that is something to take into consideration, go turn some laps and see how the kart does and also compare lap times to what the guys was turning during the race. Providence raceway is a great track also in VA, good luck, and have fun
Thanks for mentioning that! Sounds like a great opportunity to get some seat time in.

Thats because you run a totally different kart.
In oval racing, maxxis is probably #1 tire
In my area its all Burris tire rules
As far as a clutch, if disc clutches are allowed thats what id buy even if it is a predator class

Back