New to karting, lo206 idle

19lo206

So I just bought a used kart with a used lo206. The kart didn't have a throttle cable and the engine was not mounted when I bought it. I followed the point karting video on YouTube to install the throttle cable. Got everything else hooked up and the engine runs, however it will not idle at all. It will only start/run if I push on the throttle. I assumed that the small gap inside the carb opening would be enough to allow it to idle without using the throttle.
Do you think I need to adjust the carb idle screw or did I mess up the throttle installation?

There is a screw on the side of the carb to adjust minimum idle speed. You can either use that or by remaining the cable. If it still won't idle you may need to clean the carb. The idle jet is very small and plugs easily.

So I just bought a used kart with a used lo206. The kart didn't have a throttle cable and the engine was not mounted when I bought it. I followed the point karting video on YouTube to install the throttle cable. Got everything else hooked up and the engine runs, however it will not idle at all. It will only start/run if I push on the throttle. I assumed that the small gap inside the carb opening would be enough to allow it to idle without using the throttle.
Do you think I need to adjust the carb idle screw or did I mess up the throttle installation?
What happens when you turn the idle screw in clockwise? Does the rpm rise? Easy answer = problem solved.
You have have used the wrong cable end (ball instead of barrel) or forgot the needle clip(s.) There is an "E" clip that sets the height of the needle, and a "V" clip which retains the needle assembly in the slide.

Also make sure that you have the correct needle for your application -- BGB is the only legal needle. Using the wrong needle can also give you fits setting the idle with the stock fuel nozzle.

If the engine has been setting for any length of time, clean the carb thoroughly. (fuel AND air passages.)
Set the float height at .875" and float drop @ 1.050" and see if that solves your idling issues.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

What happens when you turn the idle screw in clockwise? Does the rpm rise? Easy answer = problem solved.
You have have used the wrong cable end (ball instead of barrel) or forgot the needle clip(s.) There is an "E" clip that sets the height of the needle, and a "V" clip which retains the needle assembly in the slide.

Also make sure that you have the correct needle for your application -- BGB is the only legal needle. Using the wrong needle can also give you fits setting the idle with the stock fuel nozzle.

If the engine has been setting for any length of time, clean the carb thoroughly. (fuel AND air passages.)
Set the float height at .875" and float drop @ 1.050" and see if that solves your idling issues.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Thanks. I tried the idle screw and it didn't help. The engine was a spare the guy had so it may have sat for awhile. The carb does smell like old gas/varnish so I will need to clean it. I bought a new pilot jet to put in just in case.

What do you recommend for cleaning?

Back