New to Karting looking for Ultramax setup help

justfrfun

I’ve never raced a kart before and Just picked up an Ultramax Rival with stock 212 Predator. I’m looking for a starting point to setup up the kart to race 1/8 or slightly smaller dirt Oval. I’m planning to start with the recommended chassis setup but What tires and gears should I start with? I’m about 215 pounds.

Start it around 17/ 57 ish see where your at, remember If tires and set-up is not correct neither will rpm, Don't target over 5000 rpm for now until you get gearing real close and have a better feel for the motor.
As far as tires that's all track depended based on normal track conditions. You have NO tire rule ? If so it's open tire ? What track ? Describe normal track conditions in case no one knows the track, Do you know which tire they run in other classes ?

No tire rules and everyone I talked to run a different tire. I haven’t been to other tracks but to me it look like it was wet slick In the beginning and quickly became dry slick. Usually not many karts at each race. Say 5 classes of karts running two heats and a main. Races usually over in a couple hours
Current kart setup
LF 10.5 4.50 6 Unilli
LR 12 9.00 6 Maxxis
RF 10.5 4.50 6 Unilli
RR 12 9.00 6 Maxxis
10 wide rim rear
6.5 wide rim front
WMS 57 rear sprocket
Torque Max 16 front sprocket

This is how it was when I bought it. It’s all new.

Thank you for the replies

Last edited:
Hard to say which tires will be best, but mixing tires won't be you need matching tires I recommend a new set Burris, maxxis, or vega yellow depending on which one you'll need internal.
Wheels should be 6.5" LF, 8.5 " LR, both right sides 10".

Back