New to karting

echild22

New to karting, I have a backyard track where we run stock ducar 212 engines. What can I do to upgrade my setup without changing the appearance? I have a Phantom Phenom with a Ducar 212 and a max torque clutch. Any Help would be appreciated thanks. I also have a gx390 carb but seeing all the trouble people have with it on gas I will probably leave it off.

Stock appearing, easy, maybe a little expensive. Raise the compression. Compression is the Holy Grail. Change the cam. Advance the timing. Don't go crazy! Higher octane fuel. Colder spark plug. All stock appearing.

Stock appearing, easy, maybe a little expensive. Raise the compression. Compression is the Holy Grail. Change the cam. Advance the timing. Don't go crazy! Higher octane fuel. Colder spark plug. All stock appearing.
Im replacing head gasket with a thinner one and replacing stock springs with 22lb. How much should I advance the timing? This is all very new to me. I have a new spark plug and Im going to index it when I install.

why does everyone upgrade the springs to a builders prepared camshaft right off the hit ??? Get a good set of 10.8 springs and a good cam that will pull to 7,000 and make power like a cl3, bsp4 or an EV6. It should have a PVL flywheel on it. Jump it up to 34 degrees of timing and put a good pipe on it and enjoy. The drum clutch isn’t doing you any favors but they work and are foolproof. Change the springs in your clutch to raise the rpm to 3,000 after your mods and it will restart a lot better. How big a track and what gears are you on ?

why does everyone upgrade the springs to a builders prepared camshaft right off the hit ??? Get a good set of 10.8 springs and a good cam that will pull to 7,000 and make power like a cl3, bsp4 or an EV6. It should have a PVL flywheel on it. Jump it up to 34 degrees of timing and put a good pipe on it and enjoy. The drum clutch isn’t doing you any favors but they work and are foolproof. Change the springs in your clutch to raise the rpm to 3,000 after your mods and it will restart a lot better. How big a track and what gears are you on ?
I was going to change the springs because I was told it would help. Like I said Im new to this. Its a pretty small track not sure actual size. I have a 12 tooth driver and a 65 rear gear. I cant upgrade the exhaust but Im looking into the mod of the stock exhaust. Thanks

Also the stock springs are 16-18lb

I would still upgrade the springs to 10.8 race style springs. Use the smaller cl2 cam. Do a re jet and bump your timing a touch.

Think people are worried about floating valves once they start modding and turning more RPM. Not sure what the ducar 212 comes with stock, he could shim the 10.8's to close to coil bind or whatever he has on it and really not have to worry about valve float.

Heres my take . Pull the muffler , turn it over drill some holes in it . Buy a bored carb from Jerry Dover .
Change springs when you change cam or it wont rev too 5200-5400 ,
Or starts floating the valves sooner then your current max rpm .

I would check the timing before moving it as they come with a aluminum flywheel. Bsp4 cam, smooth the head ports , Dover carb

Back