New to karting

Natehart

My 8 year old is wanting to get in to dirt kart racing. Which I am all for I’m use to quad racing. I’m looking for a kart for her. I can’t seem to find a real answer anywhere I’m here to see if you guys can help. The chassis my neighbor has one that was his daughters but it is a asphalt kart. It is a BRM kart right size. But can you use it on dirt. I want to start this off right for her. The chassis is clean as a pin and in great shape no motor. Which I can build a clone or start her in the predator class at a local track. Just looking or some good info specially on the chassis any info would be great thanks.

I did a lot of reading over night seems like a lot of people run there karts on dirt and asphalt but make some changes between the too would anyone know the differences if not I have a comet kart and top kart USA near me

What are some good dirt track karts nothing really online seems to say dirt or road. They don’t specify on what chassis is for what. I did find a 2004 ultra max blaze octane kart that is adjustable for adults and juniors for 800 it’s a roller everything but engine

Establish a price range then go see Carlson.

Establishing your daughters interest in karting (hands-on) would be my concern. You don't want to spend the whole lot of money and then find out it was just a passing fad for her. Is there a kart track near you? I'd be there for a couple of race days and see how much interest she really does have. You might find some cars for sale there. Lots of people to talk to.

Yeah I have about three tracks within an hour or so of me that’s what sparked her Interest she road four wheelers and regular kids go karts me and my wife sat down and made sure s this is something she wanted I know when I did quad racing it was expense. She loved Columbus speedway. Where is Carlson at

Carlson is in Linden. Hes raced all over with his kids in this area so he knows alot about jrs and the different tracks around. Your gonna want to look for an offset chassis like the ultramax.

Yeah I have about three tracks within an hour or so of me that’s what sparked her Interest she road four wheelers and regular kids go karts me and my wife sat down and made sure s this is something she wanted I know when I did quad racing it was expense. She loved Columbus speedway. Where is Carlson at
Any form of racing is quite expensive... But on here you can find good deals on used equipment... It all depends whether you want her to run a flat kart or jr sportsman(cage kart)... Before buying this, that, and the other i would figure out exactly what engine package you are wanting to run... Do some research on all aspects and the opportunity to move up without having to buy new equipment...

Thanks everyone for the referrals. :)
We're about 45 minutes northwest of Indy.
The Ultramax is an oval kart. There might be better deals out there on a more current chassis. Honestly, depending on how much you want to spend, take a look at the classifieds on this site, and check at your local track(s) Columbus, Jennings Co, Lawrenceburg, Rockport, etc.
It's pretty easy to identify an oval kart based on the offset frame, ie the LR frame rail bends back in towards the center of the car, whereas a sprint (road course) chassis comes straight back on the LR.
The tire sizes are considerably different as well - but that's not to say that what you find will be set up properly either.
Some of these tracks have specific tire rules, others are open tire. Some run different engine combinations as well.
If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask away on here, or drop me a note.
It's easier to catch me through private messages on here, message the shop through Facebook, or email me. Sarah is out of the office the rest of this week in Washington DC, and I'm down to one helper in the shop, so it's tough to get to the phone every time it rings.
We've got a full line kart shop for 31 years -- if we can't help you, something's wrong. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The BRM chassis is likely a sprint kart not an oval kart .
Oval kart can run dirt or asphalt . Sprint generally run road course stuff and are not suited too oval racing .
Anything older then 2010 I would pass on .

Thank you guys for your help. We are going back to the local track this weekend. I have been keeping my eye open on classifieds Facebook and craigslist if any of you come across a good kart please let me know Carlson I will definitely keep you on the top of the list when I find a kart for qusetions and help with it thank you

Thank you guys for your help. We are going back to the local track this weekend. I have been keeping my eye open on classifieds Facebook and craigslist if any of you come across a good kart please let me know Carlson I will definitely keep you on the top of the list when I find a kart for qusetions and help with it thank you

Much appreciated.
Our little kart shop is all we do, so we sure appreciate all the business we can get (especially this year!)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back