New to Karting

Define NWPA. Toward erie or closer to Pittsburgh and which tracks are you looking to race at. I am in Pittsburgh and depending on track may have some leads for you

Where are you located. There’s a guy here in North Carolina who primarily deals in used karts and parts. You can get a lot of stuff from him at a fair price. As said above buyouts are helpful. I suggest FB Marketplace to buy a Kart. We race Phantom Karts, long history of success, and they resell well. Stay away from Kid Karts. Not many race them, and they’re hard to sell for that reason.

Most of us race Dad’s use adult karts outfitted for kids.

I’d stay away from anything 10 years old, spend a little more on something 4-5 years old. Therefore your kids some time out of it, but it will still sell when your ready to upgrade.

Phantom, Charger, Ultramax, Fanatic, and
Premier seem to be the manufacturers I see winning. Premiers can be pricey.
May i ask who the guy is in north carolina, im looking to find a used kart myself…thank you

Completely new to karting. We went with a buddy and his 6-year-old son tonight to practice. My son (6) did 3 different practice sessions and fell in love with it. By the 3rd practice session, he really started to have the hang of it. I guess just looking advice to see where to start? I have a few other buddies who's kids race but they are extremely serious with it all. They have multiple chassis, multiple engines etc. I just want to start simple with him. Where is the best place to buy used karts and equipment?
Check your PM

I was in that same spot a year ago with my now-8yr. old son. Find a local track and ask questions. Even if it seems everyone is so busy doing their own thing, they are not too busy to help. I floudered around for way too long buying all of the wrong stuff. Then someone pointed me over to THAT guy at our local track.. Two weeks later, we had a kart, engine, and everything else and my son was racing. This whole community is actually a big ole family. You only once have to get into the inner circle.

I just got into it for some backyard racing. Few of buddy's built dirt ovals. FB market place you can sometimes score huge but don't get greedy with what you first see. I'd stick to the local tracks to someone always knows someone haha. There was a Top kart I missed out on if I just waited two days that had everything you would absolutely need to go racing. Not that I'm disappointed with what I got just it was a better deal just little more loot. Then ask on here everyone is super helpful, I had no idea there was so much into setting a kart up, "used to setting up dirt bike suspension sag etc". Karts have just as much if not more depending on the chassis. It's an absolute blast building them, driving and racing them.

I just got into it for some backyard racing. Few of buddy's built dirt ovals. FB market place you can sometimes score huge but don't get greedy with what you first see. I'd stick to the local tracks to someone always knows someone haha. There was a Top kart I missed out on if I just waited two days that had everything you would absolutely need to go racing. Not that I'm disappointed with what I got just it was a better deal just little more loot. Then ask on here everyone is super helpful, I had no idea there was so much into setting a kart up, "used to setting up dirt bike suspension sag etc". Karts have just as much if not more depending on the chassis. It's an absolute blast building them, driving and racing them.
Right here is the spirit that started karting. :love:
Backyard racing can be so much fun when compared to "professional" kart tracks.
Sometimes I think we've lost our first love and moved to a point where guys just buy speed; pay someone to work on their stuff, blueprint their engines, rent their tires, babysit their karts. For the most part, gone are the days of working on everything yourself.
Not that it's wrong or bad, just different.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Don't out spend the other racers . if the other racers are running top of the line National grade motors and new tires every week . you will have to . most local tracks don't have a lot of money to race . Don't out class everyone . he wont learn any thing with a shop prepped cart and a $1200. rental motor . [ or just buy him a trophy and stay home] , Make him competitive and make him work to win .

Back