New to Karting

Completely new to karting. We went with a buddy and his 6-year-old son tonight to practice. My son (6) did 3 different practice sessions and fell in love with it. By the 3rd practice session, he really started to have the hang of it. I guess just looking advice to see where to start? I have a few other buddies who's kids race but they are extremely serious with it all. They have multiple chassis, multiple engines etc. I just want to start simple with him. Where is the best place to buy used karts and equipment?

At the track. Someone always has something available .
If you have friends with experience thats where i would start .
Ask plenty of questions .
Buy what you need for the class you will be racing .

Right here on this site is a great place to buy used chassis, Find yourself a good used Triton Jr chassis and roll with it.
Ask lots of questions at the track, and on here .
Good Luck !!

What TGR said. A buyout is the best scenario. Trailer, if you dont have one, kart, spares and tools. When I decided to go kart racing again, 2200 miles from where I came from (well most of) the hand tools necessary. I bought a kart race ready with no spares. I spent twice that in getting a few spares, a kart stand, kart specific tire tools, frequently needed spare parts etc. Don't get me started on extra tires and wheels, clutch parts, rear gears etc. I spent 4 or 5 times as much on the trailer and stuff required. Buying in a lot is much easier.

Last edited:
What TGR said. A buyout is the best scenario. Trailer, if you dont have one, kart, spares and tools. When I decided to go kart racing again, 2200 miles from where I came from (well most of) the hand tools necessary. I bought a kart race ready with no spares. I spent twice that in getting a few spares, a kart stand, kart specific tire tools, frequently needed spare parts etc. Don't get me started on extra tires and wheels, clutch parts, rear gears etc. I spent 4 or 5 times as much on the trailer and stuff required. Buying in a lot is much easier.
Being new just do your homework, and make sure you know what your buying.

Completely new to karting. We went with a buddy and his 6-year-old son tonight to practice. My son (6) did 3 different practice sessions and fell in love with it. By the 3rd practice session, he really started to have the hang of it. I guess just looking advice to see where to start? I have a few other buddies who's kids race but they are extremely serious with it all. They have multiple chassis, multiple engines etc. I just want to start simple with him. Where is the best place to buy used karts and equipment?
Where are you located. There’s a guy here in North Carolina who primarily deals in used karts and parts. You can get a lot of stuff from him at a fair price. As said above buyouts are helpful. I suggest FB Marketplace to buy a Kart. We race Phantom Karts, long history of success, and they resell well. Stay away from Kid Karts. Not many race them, and they’re hard to sell for that reason.

Most of us race Dad’s use adult karts outfitted for kids.

I’d stay away from anything 10 years old, spend a little more on something 4-5 years old. Therefore your kids some time out of it, but it will still sell when your ready to upgrade.

Phantom, Charger, Ultramax, Fanatic, and
Premier seem to be the manufacturers I see winning. Premiers can be pricey.

Where are you located. There’s a guy here in North Carolina who primarily deals in used karts and parts. You can get a lot of stuff from him at a fair price. As said above buyouts are helpful. I suggest FB Marketplace to buy a Kart. We race Phantom Karts, long history of success, and they resell well. Stay away from Kid Karts. Not many race them, and they’re hard to sell for that reason.

Most of us race Dad’s use adult karts outfitted for kids.

I’d stay away from anything 10 years old, spend a little more on something 4-5 years old. Therefore your kids some time out of it, but it will still sell when your ready to upgrade.

Phantom, Charger, Ultramax, Fanatic, and
Premier seem to be the manufacturers I see winning. Premiers can be pricey.
I live in NWPA. There are so many people with karts for sale on market place but trying to decide what is a decent sale is hard. A lot of research a head of me. Thank for all the information. If anyone happens to come across a deal let me know.

I would suggest a Jr sportsman if I were in your shoes. I have one I am getting ready to sell but I am in Indiana and it's probably too far of a drive for you to get.

nothings ever to far for the right price! Send me some details along with pictures if you can? How soon are you looking to sell? I am going to Wisconsin in Aug so i can swing by on my way through or I have a few buddies that live in upper Indiana that can grab it from you before that.

We use a 15 year old chassis, a van with fold down seats, a tool box and an extra set of tires. We use a bone stock engine and just whooped on some saylor built engines and newer chassis's. This was our 9th race ever.

#1 thing I recommend is having fun and always making sure your driver is having fun and is only doing it because they want to. Practice, practice, practice.
We go to A LOT of big car dirt races and my son gives most of his credit to watching them doing business and translating it over.

Good luck and welcome!!

nothings ever to far for the right price! Send me some details along with pictures if you can? How soon are you looking to sell? I am going to Wisconsin in Aug so i can swing by on my way through or I have a few buddies that live in upper Indiana that can grab it from you before that.
Pm me your number I will take pics and send them to you with pricing on it.

We use a 15 year old chassis, a van with fold down seats, a tool box and an extra set of tires. We use a bone stock engine and just whooped on some saylor built engines and newer chassis's. This was our 9th race ever.

#1 thing I recommend is having fun and always making sure your driver is having fun and is only doing it because they want to. Practice, practice, practice.
We go to A LOT of big car dirt races and my son gives most of his credit to watching them doing business and translating it over.

Good luck and welcome!!
Agreed its all about fun! He's only 6 but after going to a practice with a buddy and his kid and experiencing what its like to drive a racing one compared to his stuff at home i think he's hooked. I know its easy to get carried away in this sport with big karts and all but i just want to keep it simple and let him enjoy being a kid. If it comes to that point where he's becoming seriously competitive then we will travel that road. Agreed its all about FUN!

If you are in Northwest PA, look up Tom Dawson of Transfer Tornado Cuts, or Jay Groves from Kartworks. Both are in that area and reputable people.

DO NOT buy anything on marketplace.....it is overpriced old trash that you will beat your head against the wall with trying to make work.

Talk with local people at the track(s) in your area. You will find a common denominator of reputable people in your area that can help.

You shouldnt spend much more then $2000 to get a full setup for where/who you are racing against.

If you are in Northwest PA, look up Tom Dawson of Transfer Tornado Cuts, or Jay Groves from Kartworks. Both are in that area and reputable people.

DO NOT buy anything on marketplace.....it is overpriced old trash that you will beat your head against the wall with trying to make work.

Talk with local people at the track(s) in your area. You will find a common denominator of reputable people in your area that can help.

You shouldnt spend much more then $2000 to get a full setup for where/who you are racing against.
I've heard from buddies that Jay Groves is legit! I'll have to look up boths websites. Thanks

I'd go to Pittsfiled, Stateline, Lockhart and/or AMS and let it be known you're looking. I buy a lot of used equipment and find the best deals through connections at the track or marketplace. Rarely have I ever seen a decent buy from a dealer. You'll likely get a good piece from a dealer but you'll pay a premium for it. I'd also recommend finding a kart already set-up for a jr racer. Use the resources around you to before you make a purchase.

Whatever you buy, scale it with one of your buddies before it hits the track. Otherwise you’ll be wondering why the darn thing won’t handle and of you don’t know your Left, Cross, and Nose weight numbers, people won’t be able to help you.

Welcome from another PA guy with a kid racer here. we run a '98 chassis. Just get it scaled and set up for the driver, after they get used to it....they can be plenty competitive. my 7 year old daughter is loving it. We race Flat run in Allport.

Back