New to Karting

Tdub

So I just bought a kart with a new clone 6.5 harbor freight greyhound so i will use it to practice. It does have ARC components all over it. I'm in NorCal so I'm going to drive at Blue Max and Prairie City. They both have a senior box stock class using WKA rules. I've been reading about all of these different motor builders on here. When I buy a new motor can I just use a box stock project motor from there website. I was thinking of buying the one that is 150 and putting an aluminum flywheel it. Are there really huge differences between these motors?

Tdub , I just wanted to say welcome to Bobs ! Engines are one part of it , but a good tire program will help a bunch to. You'll do fine with the engine you have, get as much seat time as possible. Good Luck and have fun !

So I just bought a kart with a new clone 6.5 harbor freight greyhound so i will use it to practice. It does have ARC components all over it. I'm in NorCal so I'm going to drive at Blue Max and Prairie City. They both have a senior box stock class using WKA rules. I've been reading about all of these different motor builders on here. When I buy a new motor can I just use a box stock project motor from there website. I was thinking of buying the one that is 150 and putting an aluminum flywheel it. Are there really huge differences between these motors?

Yes you can just get one of the box stock project engines and just put a billet flywheel on it, it will be plenty competetive in the stock classes. that is what i did, i use the Box Stock Project engine with a PVL flywheel for Pro Clone classes, with a big pipe, air filter adapter and disc clutch and have had great success with it agaist some of the big builders engines. Tires and chassis setup will get you farther than an expensive engine will in the box stock class racing.

Welcome to kartintg in Nor-Cal. Presently, 'we' are awaiting the release of infomation on what flywheels will be allowed in the area this season, however....rumor has it that the Aluminum flywheels 'will be' allowed w/ a minimum wgt of 3.5lbs. In many/most cases, new motors can be purchased for abt $150-160 including your choice of camshaft, or...abt $250 w/cam & billet alum flywheel. A lesser cost flywheels are also available. The difference between 'this' stock/starter motor package and a 'built' stock package proformance wise can be (2-3X) more and.....significant! FYI....this area is knee-deep in Clones and is very competitive. What 'I' view as a 'negitive' is that there are 5-6 guy's that seem too have found a home in the class (up-front) and refuse too allow giving way too new people running up front. Good Luck and if you need assistance....look us up!

A builder motor compared to a motor you just put a flywheel on will be a big difference.i would suggest go over the rules and try build your self or find a builder..we are in Texas if interested

I bought the race ready clone from the box stock project website with a billet steel flywheel on it put a cl1 cam in it. and did the hard hustle 100 at blue max last year for a first race and ended up getting 8th. the motor had plenty of power I just was off on gear ratio.

Back