New to Predator 212cc open kart 375lb Gearing question

Hello I have a question about what Drum clutch Driver to use and what rear sprocket to use for CoveView speedway I was told to run a 18-64 is that correct?? Last Saturday we race a 18-59 another person ran a 17-63 in the same class????

What were your rpm with the 18/59,
Is it still open tire or is there a tire rule ?
What tires were you on ? Which prep were you using ?

Last edited:
Hello I have a question about what Drum clutch Driver to use and what rear sprocket to use for CoveView speedway I was told to run a 18-64 is that correct?? Last Saturday we race a 18-59 another person ran a 17-63 in the same class????
Maybe this will give you some idea of where you're at, compared to others, and where to go with ratios. gear ratio 12.jpg

Yes its just numbers . He should have been able to drive into the turn with good speed but get left behind on corner exit .

Do you have a tach if so what were your rpm ? How much Internal prep in your Maxxis ? Are they newer tires or older used tires ?
With an 18/59 your rpm should of been low, with a 17 / 63 there rpm should of been to high. 18 / 61 ish should be real close for cove view, keep in mind If tires and set - up is off you'll chase gearing. This time of the season for there a Maxxis better be pretty new with edges still on with 100 cc Internal Min most likely 120 cc Internal.

Last edited:
Try 18/62 or 63 to start if rpms are good early then pull 1 off rear for the race, outside prep for there should only be a medium based prep.

I’m using Gambler Blue outside Prep that is what Tyler from HRE told me to use he also told me that they are running a 18-64 on the predator at Cove and Hunterstown

I’m using Gambler Blue outside Prep that is what Tyler from HRE told me to use he also told me that they are running a 18-64 on the predator at Cove and Hunterstown
Tyler would know what prep however you must confirm Internal and how long ago they were rolled, If to long just re roll them and flip them on the wheel if needed keep the good edge on the inside, you said your rpm were low on 18 / 59 how low were they ? If 400 or more try the 18/64 as Tyler suggested, If only 300 low try the 63 If less try the 62 the 18 front driver should be correct for there VS the 17.

Good Luck !!

Tyler would know what prep however you must confirm Internal and how long ago they were rolled, If to long just re roll them and flip them on the wheel if needed keep the good edge on the inside, you said your rpm were low on 18 / 59 how low were they ? If 400 or more try the 18/64 as Tyler suggested, If only 300 low try the 63 If less try the 62 the 18 front driver should be correct for there VS the 17.

Good Luck !!

I’m not sure when they were rolled inside I got them from someone he said they had three races on them they still have three lines on the sides it was around 400 on the Tach

I couldn't find where you mentioned the RPM you were turning, maybe you don't have a tack. This gives you some idea of the MPH you were turning with the numbers you gave for gearing. I just picked 5800 out of the air.
1568992132012.png

I’m not sure when they were rolled inside I got them from someone he said they had three races on them they still have three lines on the sides it was around 400 on the Tach
Do the tires have and numbers written on them with silver or good marker right around the bead ? example 061910000 which would mean they were rolled June of 2019 with 100 cc, If 400 or more low then start where Tyler told you 18/64 and If rpm are close early drop 1 off rear for the race.
Heads up NEVER buy used tires without know IF Internal, how much Internal and When rolled.

Back