New to Predator Classes

burick

I'm getting back into karting, and need some help. Been a few years since I last ran. Gonna run Predator classes just for fun since it seems to be so affordable. I'll be at Woodleaf and just need some help with setup. I've talked to a few guys running 19-20 driver and 60-66 rear. Not sure what kind of clutch to go with for this class, and would like a solid starting point for overall setup. Thanks.

I am not familiar with setup for a Seraph, but Phantom Racing Chassis has setup sheets available on their web site that probably will get you a good start.

As far as I know, most guys in Woodleaf's Predator class are running a 19 tooth clutch gear. Some have tried a 20 tooth but feel like it bogs the engine a little. Our clutch is set to engage at about 2900 r.p.m.

Your rear gear range may be a little high. Which weight class are you running? We've been running between 58 and 63 teeth in the 400 pound class; you might take a few teeth off for the 365 pound class. Usually you can take a couple teeth off for the feature race since the track hardens up by then. Been told to try to gear so you get 4700 - 5100 r.p.m. on the tachometer (with stock everything and governor fully functional). Some guys are getting to (and over) the 5500 r.p.m. limit, but we haven't been able to do that legally and have been told the engine is falling off its power curve before then anyway.

Last year guys were fast with shoe clutches, but this year the competition is tougher and most of the front runners have disc clutches. If you are relearning you may not realize enough advantage with a disc clutch to justify its higher cost though.

Tires typically need to durometer in the mid to upper 40s when the track is wet, and mid 50s when the track hardens up. Of course this is affected a lot by track conditions and your kart package. We usually start with 7 psi in the right side tires and 6 in the left side tires, but lately have been going down to 5 psi in the lefts to start – and then raising pressures and/or split as the track hardens. But again, this depends a lot upon track conditions and your kart combination.

Hope this helps. We’re not the fastest out there, but feel this should get you started okay. Anybody with better numbers please chime in.

I'm getting back into karting, and need some help. Been a few years since I last ran. Gonna run Predator classes just for fun since it seems to be so affordable. I'll be at Woodleaf and just need some help with setup. I've talked to a few guys running 19-20 driver and 60-66 rear. Not sure what kind of clutch to go with for this class, and would like a solid starting point for overall setup. Thanks.
That must be a really big track!
19/60 = 3.16
20/63 = 3.15
19/63 = 3.32
20/66 = 3.30

No, we gear that way due to the r.p.m. limited by the governor and the torque available from the engine (along with adjusting for track conditions and kart package). It's a momentum track for this class.

Last edited:
Find yourself a Hilliard Fury clutch and use it the way it comes set up out of the box, with 2 white springs and 2 black springs for 365# class and a pure stock, out of the box engine with the governor. If you feel that isnt getting you off the starts like you want, you can go with 4 white springs instead, or 4 black springs....4 white springs will be a lower engagement, 4 black springs will be a higher engagement, 2 white and 2 black is right in between. Maintain and clean it properly and that clutch will last you several seasons or more, they are all we use on predators, usually we have them with 4 black springs but our engines are ungoverned and are not 100% stock. Hope that helps. With the Seraph, you will want to keep your left rear tire as close to the same duro as the right sides or 1-2pt harder, and you will need to make sure you prep the tires during the week to add bite to the tires or you will have a push.

Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate it. I'll probably run 365 and 400 just for more seat time.

Back