New to resurfacing

racerdad

I just bought a home-made tire resurfacer. What's the easiest way to resurface a tire, what tool? I've seen belt sanders, grinders with flap wheels, and "cheese graders" being used. I got an old tire I can play with before doing my race tires, just getting opinions first

I just bought a home-made tire resurfacer. What's the easiest way to resurface a tire, what tool? I've seen belt sanders, grinders with flap wheels, and "cheese graders" being used. I got an old tire I can play with before doing my race tires, just getting opinions first
The "cheese grader" types are for cutting tires, not resurfacing. Everyone has their own way, and type of tire helps to determine the type of way also. Id resurface a Burris differently than i would a Maxxis.
For Maxxis, i resurface by hand using 400 and 600 grit.

Actually there are several threads on resurfacing tires.
There is a "search" feature in the upper right of this screen. You will find it very useful in researching specific topics.

I prefer a belt sander with several different grits to "plateau" finish the tire.
Keep the tire wet and the sander or grinder moving (to avoid getting the rubber hot and sticky.)
I use Windex non-ammoniated window cleaner as a coolant.

I'm not "brand specific" on how I finish my tires, but I will say that for harder tracks (like where Maxxis are prevalent) you will want a finer grit finish. For low/no bite tracks (like here in the midwest where Burris are prevalent) you can use courser grits.
If I'm doing Burris tires for a high bite track, you can count on them being finished much finer than the typical Saturday night stuff.

3.jpg

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I recently got told about using Walmart's glass cleaner, and since I've used it I haven't had any issues with heat, and its like 3.88$ a jug.

I recently got told about using Walmart's glass cleaner, and since I've used it I haven't had any issues with heat, and its like 3.88$ a jug.
I'll definitely give it a try -- I've tried several discount window cleaners but none have worked as well as Windex (on tires anyhow.) :)

Back