New Update

Bob Evans

Administrator
I just sent a bunch of money to the data center to get the crashed hard drive.
Guess I'll try to send it to Abble on NCIS to try to get the old data back.
I'm thinking that if I throw enough money at it, we'll be able to get something fixed.

Could also try running spinrite on the drive. I highly recommend it.
www.spinrite.com

Please don't do this. We're talking about a serious amount of important data here. Spinrite is cool if you've nothing to lose but for something like this, its not a good way to go. Don't freeze it, don't swap the logic board and to be totally honest I would say don't even power the drive up when you get it.

It seems REALLY odd to me that a single drive failure lead to the old site's demise. Furthermore its odd that the host sent you a single drive with the idea of being able to retrieve data from it. It should have been a RAID array. Perhaps it was just a mirror array and the controller or backplane took a dive, and the drives with it. Anyway, there's something the host isn't telling you, and hopefully you've changed hosts since. The question about how the backup(s) became corrupt is another interesting one too. Non-ECC RAM on the server has been know to garbage DB tables over time.

My 2c.....send the drive directly to Kroll or another reputable company with a clean room and expertise. Once you get a quote, start a fundraiser and I'm sure many of us will chip in to bring that data back.

I've personally done software and hardware data recovery in the past, however before doing so I was very clear about the risks involved without having a clean room facility. In cases where the customer wasn't comfortable with the risk, I sent drives to CBL http://www.cbldatarecovery.com/ I would highly reccomend them. No I'm not affiliated with them, other than having them recover data from electronically\physically nuked drives in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't do this. We're talking about a serious amount of important data here. Spinrite is cool if you've nothing to lose but for something like this, its not a good way to go. Don't freeze it, don't swap the logic board and to be totally honest I would say don't even power the drive up when you get it.

It seems REALLY odd to me that a single drive failure lead to the old site's demise. Furthermore its odd that the host sent you a single drive with the idea of being able to retrieve data from it. It should have been a RAID array. Perhaps it was just a mirror array and the controller or backplane took a dive, and the drives with it. Anyway, there's something the host isn't telling you, and hopefully you've changed hosts since. The question about how the backup(s) became corrupt is another interesting one too. Non-ECC RAM on the server has been know to garbage DB tables over time.

My 2c.....send the drive directly to Kroll or another reputable company with a clean room and expertise. Once you get a quote, start a fundraiser and I'm sure many of us will chip in to bring that data back.

I've personally done software and hardware data recovery in the past, however before doing so I was very clear about the risks involved without having a clean room facility. In cases where the customer wasn't comfortable with the risk, I sent drives to CBL http://www.cbldatarecovery.com/ I would highly reccomend them. No I'm not affiliated with them, other than having them recover data from electronically\physically nuked drives in the past.

x2

Drive Savers is another good company. But definitely setup a fundraiser for all of us 4cycleholics to donate to. I had to send a dead drive to them last week and the quote was over $2,000 to repair the drive and recover the data.

Yep its four figures nearly every time. Even though I'm building my own site thing I'd hate to see all that good stuff go. I'll chip in what I can.

Back