Newb Question..

Todd O.

Hello. I have a question if any one would be willing to answer it. I am new to karts and recently picked up a bare BRM Kart chassis that I am trying to get put together. From what I've gathered BRM is a European company. I'm wanting to order everything I need for the kart to get it to roller status. I'm going to start at the rear and work foward. Are the measurments the same for domestic and European karts as far as the bolt hole patterns for bearing cassettes? Would cassettes for a 1 1/4 axle bearing bolt up to this chassis, for example?

Attachments

• 20200619_182143.jpg
    20200619_182143.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 6
Hello. I have a question if any one would be willing to answer it. I am new to karts and recently picked up a bare BRM Kart chassis that I am trying to get put together. From what I've gathered BRM is a European company. I'm wanting to order everything I need for the kart to get it to roller status. I'm going to start at the rear and work foward. Are the measurments the same for domestic and European karts as far as the bolt hole patterns for bearing cassettes? Would cassettes for a 1 1/4 axle bearing bolt up to this chassis, for example?
Are there inserts to fit those slots? A metric pattern moat likely?

I agree with XXX Todd, if it's only a bare chassis it will cost you a LOT more then a complete used roller. Even a relatively new one.

Go one a website such as Comet Kart Sales and look at one of their new chassis, and imagine buying every component, nut, bolt and washer!! Don't do it!

I may be wrong, but I haven't seen a BRM for many, many years, and I really don't know how good they were to start with.

Clark Gaynor Sr.

Euro bolts patterns can vary, you really have to measure. Does it have the front spindles, steering column, front bumper, belly pan and side pod bars? those things are specific to the chassis and may be impossible to find. Not to mention the brake caliper mount might not fit anything available. How bad is the bottom scraped up? I would at least need the front spindles and an almost perfect frame to do what you're thinking, even then you're really starting in a hole.

Don't feel bad, everybody takes a bath when they first jump in. Buy a roller it'll have all the parts.

Sundog

ToddO:

Pay attention to the two prior posts. 35+ years ago, I did exactly what you plan to do. I dont care how cheap you got the chassis, if you have to put everything on it you can't come out ahead, unless you can source it all used. Karts are like pool table, golf clubs and motorcycles in my opinion--there is someone always looking to get out and often at a severe loss. Go to the place you plan to run and talk with the promoter and front runners and ask if they know of any good stuff for sale. Save up your sheckles and buy race ready or at the very least a roller. It will save you time and money If you can, buy a front runners setup and then you can focus on your driving because you have the knowledge that what you bought is already capable. Good luck. CMac

This is what I have to work with. I was a little misleading when I said bare chassis. I have the seat as well. Basically I need spindles and a rear axle assembly to get it to roller status. I got it in a rare for me trade deal where I actually came out ahead. I have $0 money in it as it sits. I only plan to play on it at a friends private dirt track. Not any sanctioned events. I'm not trying to be the newb that dosent listen. And I greatly appreciate everyone's input. Just wanted to provide a little more accurate Info in order to determine if I should move foward. I figured I would have $6-700 in it to bring it to roller status? Is it not worth that? Once again. Just trying to put pencil to paper and figure my best route.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200621-103233_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200621-103233_Gallery.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 42
I figured I would have $6-700 in it to bring it to roller status?

I think it will cost you more then that and after you'll be totally disappointed when and if you get to put it on a dirt track.
Take the advice from others above and even if it's junk complete for the dirt track at 6 or $700 you'll be ahead.

is it a dirt oval track or ride around on the dirt path they made?

I think it will cost you more then that and after you'll be totally disappointed when and if you get to put it on a dirt track.
Take the advice from others above and even if it's junk complete for the dirt track at 6 or $700 you'll be ahead.

is it a dirt oval track or ride around on the dirt path they made?
Dirt oval. A few of my buddies race flat track bikes and have started buying karts just for the fun of it. Just informal saturday get togethers.

This is what I have to work with. I was a little misleading when I said bare chassis. I have the seat as well. Basically I need spindles and a rear axle assembly to get it to roller status. I got it in a rare for me trade deal where I actually came out ahead. I have $0 money in it as it sits. I only plan to play on it at a friends private dirt track. Not any sanctioned events. I'm not trying to be the newb that dosent listen. And I greatly appreciate everyone's input. Just wanted to provide a little more accurate Info in order to determine if I should move foward. I figured I would have $6-700 in it to bring it to roller status? Is it not worth that? Once again. Just trying to put pencil to paper and figure my best route.
We have a BRM we run on sprint tracks. Great kart for that. Where are you at? May be interested if you decide to sell.

We have a BRM we run on sprint tracks. Great kart for that. Where are you at? May be interested if you decide to sell.

There you go Todd. Make a few bucks plus shipping and put it into the dirt kart.
I'm sure you may ask. I think fastenal in the past has been talked about for shipping karts.
Don't know if it's still an option. Maybe the buyer can find out?

Selling and buying a roller is a good option .
If your handy adapting american cassettes and axle would be realativly easy . Brakes and spindles will be the hardest . Direct fit spindles would be best . Brakes theres some good option on ebay or full kart brakes 150.00 fab a mount . Possibly scavange off a motorcycle.

I wouldn't do anything until you find the front spindles. Like others have said that's not an oval kart but can still be fun.

Back