Newbie Box Stock questions.

Robhall

Hello, my son and I live in salem oregon and are looking to get into running a box stock car at our local track. He follows a kid online that races in our state and his dad has been kind enough to answer a few questions and give me some pointers on getting started but I have a ton more so I'm hoping you guys can atleast put me on the right track.
My son Jack is 10 but big for his age. With no experience other then soapbox derby, I figured box stock would be a good starting point for him. Our local track has a lo206 box stock class and I've read every rule I can find so far. To me it sounds like you just bolt a stock brigs engine on the car and go racing? Is there any kind of modifications allowed?
Also I know he wont be in that car for more then 2 years. Once he moves up, from what I can tell the next class would be a 250 class? In this class is the car the same with just a bigger engine or would we have to upgrade to a whole new setup?
I also have some dumb questions like, with the wings on the cars, can the be transported on open trailers or will it damage the wing and body panels?
I've seen both slick and grooved tires, is it up to the track what you run or is it a matter of preference?
I know there is a minimum weight for box stock but is there a maximum?

Any information or advise you guys can give me would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance!

Yes the lo 206 is no modifications . still there is some valve and carb maintenance allowed .
are you running a wing chassis ?
I have no experience with them . it would likley depend on trailer size packing ability and such .
tires can be track or class specific . even personal preference all rule driven .up
typically no maximum weight . there are always exceptions .

Yes the lo 206 is no modifications . still there is some valve and carb maintenance allowed .
are you running a wing chassis ?
I have no experience with them . it would likley depend on trailer size packing ability and such .
tires can be track or class specific . even personal preference all rule driven .up
typically no maximum weight . there are always exceptions .
Yes, from what I've seen in our area all of the cars have wings.

i pull ours with an open trailer, they do get pushed around a bit with side winds but as long as its a factory style box wing like a real sprint car not just one sheet with the edges rolled it holds up fine. Our first one was the old style qrc wing where it was just one piece with rolled edges and the center was cracked up pretty good. I'm also careful not to pull over 65mph

We have open tire rules around here and i'm the only one around our area running slicks. At our bigger track we really wear them out. Bull rings that stay dirty/wet not as much but we are still fast.

Are you sure your son is young enough for box stock?

i pull ours with an open trailer, they do get pushed around a bit with side winds but as long as its a factory style box wing like a real sprint car not just one sheet with the edges rolled it holds up fine. Our first one was the old style qrc wing where it was just one piece with rolled edges and the center was cracked up pretty good. I'm also careful not to pull over 65mph

We have open tire rules around here and i'm the only one around our area running slicks. At our bigger track we really wear them out. Bull rings that stay dirty/wet not as much but we are still fast.

Are you sure your son is young enough for box stock?
That is a good question! Not knowing much about the classes and karts I looked for the most basic thing I could find. I know even if he raced box stock it would probably end up being only one year. At 10 years old he is already 4'6 or better and about 115lbs give or take. He is not a small 10 year old.
For a kid that size what would you recommend considering he has zero experience?
Also are all of the cars the same just with different engines or is it once you get to a certain class the chassis changes? I have googled and googled and cant find a whole lot on this sort of thing.

That is a good question! Not knowing much about the classes and karts I looked for the most basic thing I could find. I know even if he raced box stock it would probably end up being only one year. At 10 years old he is already 4'6 or better and about 115lbs give or take. He is not a small 10 year old.
For a kid that size what would you recommend considering he has zero experience?
Also are all of the cars the same just with different engines or is it once you get to a certain class the chassis changes? I have googled and googled and cant find a whole lot on this sort of thing.
What track are you looking at?

Most kind of lay out rules themselves. Typically as they get older they just go to different restrictors and you can use the same motor. You would be at a disadvantage weight wise to run him in a box stock class against kids who are 5-6-7 and mostly 30-70lbs

Are you sure those are karts you're looking? Sounds like quarter midgets. Do they have suspensions?

They have karts with wings, but most kart classes have no wings.

107445302_10104680839701951_721126032392184065_n.jpg

Karts Al

What track are you looking at?

Most kind of lay out rules themselves. Typically as they get older they just go to different restrictors and you can use the same motor. You would be at a disadvantage weight wise to run him in a box stock class against kids who are 5-6-7 and mostly 30-70lbs
Salem indoor speedway in salem Oregon. They do have 2 box stock classes, 1 for 5-8 year olds and one for 7-12 I think. But I was thinking the same thing about the weight disadvantage

Are you sure those are karts you're looking? Sounds like quarter midgets. Do they have suspensions?

They have karts with wings, but most kart classes have no wings.
Yep I'm sure. They have no suspension, the cage has springs where it mounts to the frame but the kart itself has no suspension.

To be honest I really dont know one from the other besides the few races I've seen from the stands and what I can google lol. But on our local tracks website they are 100% referred to as karts

Salem indoor speedway in salem Oregon. They do have 2 box stock classes, 1 for 5-8 year olds and one for 7-12 I think. But I was thinking the same thing about the weight disadvantage
that website is terrible i cant understand the rules for each class. Talks about 18-19rules in one spot and being subaru motors.

.350 Cadet .310 Opening (Long BLACK) .450 Novice .342 Opening (PURPLE) Junior 1 LEGACY .440 Opening (RED) Junior 1Club .490 Opening (GREEN) Junior 2 LEGACY .520 Opening (BLUE) ASN Nat. Junior .570 Opening (YELLOW)

message someone and see which rule set it is for box stock and what the ages/weights are.

Get ahold of Matt Enos via Facebook, he has raced this type of kart at salem for ages, knows a lot about them, people to talk to etc. Or message me and I'll give you his number.

Back