NEWBIE CHAIN QUESTION

I invented, and started selling, that chain breaker in 1973. The original one was for 35 chain, which they still make.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it, I think all the better kart shops still sell it. If you're on a budget, it may b is are you are e too expensive for you. I sold the original one for $25, I'm sure it's more expensive now. Keep it hidden, a lot of people want to borrow it.

Oh, and by the way, it only works with the newer space chain, it won't work with the cheaper, commonly available, chain. The kind you get at the local hardware store.

I think they still call it space chain, it was a term we used when the wider space chain first came out.

Nice video.

Yep, still called space chain, and the tool still works perfect.
Be sure to get a good quality chain break tool though. We have them made locally for us to sell through our shop.
"Made in the USA" is worth a few bucks extra when it comes to good tools. The import ones are "terrible."

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Just offering another alternative...
Didn't have any trouble with mine, but I have very little experience...
Nice thing about a forum is you can get a pool of answers and ideas to choose from...

True you didn't have any issue's .
Your choice to use the advice or not .
A great pool of experience with sound advice .
Sprint Racers may have different percentage's , my feeling is 95% of oval racers use no master . 100% of serious oval racers use no master link .

I've done it both ways on dirt oval, and as long as you have a quality chain breaker and learn how to use it, chain with no master link is no problem and not much more annoying than chain with a master link.

Plus, once you get the 2, 3 or whatever chains fabricated for the different gear ratio ranges needed for the tracks you run, good chain maintenance will result in you only needing to get serious with the chain breaker about once a year when making new ones. And a spare hunk of chain at least as long as the longest chain you need in your at the track parts bin means that you can quickly fab a new chain in a hurry if one breaks unexpectedly.

Put the master link on properly and you'll not have any
issues. The closed end goes in the direction of travel.
I really hate to be the contrarian.
We never had a DNF from a masterlinked chain.
There's a learning curve on reassembling the chain w/o a
a master link.
That curve ends up in DNFs.
Let the flaming begin.

Last edited:
I still use my master links and last season I literally exploded 2 chains, they both had masters on them and they were intact when the chains were gathered up. Both times were when I got up in the fluff engine picked up rpm and as soon as it bit ..... 💥 kaboom!

I still use my master links and last season I literally exploded 2 chains, they both had masters on them and they were intact when the chains were gathered up. Both times were when I got up in the fluff engine picked up rpm and as soon as it bit ..... 💥 kaboom!
Fluff..?..

Back