Newbie is an Understatement

Spend some time at the track asking questions and reading here before buying.
Beware Facebook is full of junk at high prices.
Look for something you can physically go look at, something no older than 10 years old.
Gonna be hard pressed to find a place that will let a 4yr old because of rules, insurance etc.

Looking to get my 4yr old into karting.

Any advice on what kart to buy new/used.

All help is appreciated!

Are you looking to get into oval racing or sprint (road course) racing?
On the sprint side, there are "kid karts" that typically run the Comer 50cc or JR LO206 engines with a much smaller chassis built for smaller drivers.
On ovals, it really depends on the track, but there are few "kid kart" chassis being used. Most are using adult chassis retro-fitted for their younger drivers and use a variety of engine packages and restrictor plates/slide to restrict power. Even the class names will vary, from Rookie, Beginner, Pee Wee, etc. Be sure to check your track to see what is (and what is not) allowed in their class.
We started our youngest when he was 4 and he took to it very well.

If you have any specific questions or needs, feel free to reach out to us at the shop number below.

Welcome to karting and THANK YOU for introducing the next generation to our wonderful sport.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Are you looking to get into oval racing or sprint (road course) racing?
On the sprint side, there are "kid karts" that typically run the Comer 50cc or JR LO206 engines with a much smaller chassis built for smaller drivers.
On ovals, it really depends on the track, but there are few "kid kart" chassis being used. Most are using adult chassis retro-fitted for their younger drivers and use a variety of engine packages and restrictor plates/slide to restrict power. Even the class names will vary, from Rookie, Beginner, Pee Wee, etc. Be sure to check your track to see what is (and what is not) allowed in their class.
We started our youngest when he was 4 and he took to it very well.

If you have any specific questions or needs, feel free to reach out to us at the shop number below.

Welcome to karting and THANK YOU for introducing the next generation to our wonderful sport.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Looking more into the dirt oval stuff. I live in Statesville, NC about 20 minutes from Mooresville, NC (NASCAR town USA). There are several small dirt tracks in the area.

I spoke with a guys yesterday that told me that i needed to get a "Kid Kart" but I'm honestly not sure what that looks like.

Smaller version of a std sized flat kart .
traditonally with a comer 2 stroke . thats changed in recent years so be sure to ask about engine type .
Google Buller Kid Kart or kid Kart . something should pop up .

Attachments

• 16415738381771690017068233453828.jpg
    16415738381771690017068233453828.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 15
Looking more into the dirt oval stuff. I live in Statesville, NC about 20 minutes from Mooresville, NC (NASCAR town USA). There are several small dirt tracks in the area.

I spoke with a guys yesterday that told me that i needed to get a "Kid Kart" but I'm honestly not sure what that looks like.
If anything take the ride down to mooresville to GoPro Motorplex on Mazzeppa road and talk to some people there. They will direct you to the right people if anything.

Also if you're on facebook look up the page MyMacLife forum and ask question there Mike Willis is one of the moderators and runs Powermax Racing Products in Maiden. Very knowlegable person and can get you setup with everything you need to go racing.

North of Statesville a bit, near Dobson, NC is a dirt track now known as New Beginning Speedway. It was formerly Bear Creek Raceway, and is located near the junction of 601 and 268. They're announcing plans for 2022 shortly. I'm in King, and plan to bounce between there, another neat track in Woodleaf (predictably, Woodleaf Speedway), and The "Old" Stateline Speedway in Lawsonville, NC. Mooresville offers Millbridge in China Grove (winged outlaw karts and occasional flat karts -- unsure of classes.) To the east is Liberty Raceway, and Coleridge. Drop me a PM if I can help... I race both dirt and sprint (at GoPro).

I also have a great hookup (I'm on the team) with a guy who has about 12 kid and 8 cadet karts, suitable for dirt or asphalt. Let me know if you can't find what you're looking for...

I just finished our first year of Karting and went through all this you’re doing now. I’d suggest ditching the kid kart idea, a lot of tracks don’t even run the class and they’re hard to sell when you want to move up.

A problem you will have is the two most local tracks to you are Millbridge and Mountain creek. They’re both Outlaw wing kart tracks mainly, though Mountain Creek runs Flat Karts on Sunday I think. Keep in mind thought they race on a L206 spec motor and no prep Hoosier tires. The problem is no other track on the area runs these motors, or tires.

The Cadet Box Stock Mini Outlaw is a great safe option, but they’re expensive. You can get one to make laps for maybe 3k, but you’ll be racing against 8k karts and Cup kids who’s daddy bolts new tires on every week. If you can afford it, it’s a great option, and very safe. They great kart counts to.

I suggest looking for a PRC Triton Jr. they’re designed for a Junior driver and you will have less difficulty fitting getting the pedal length. Also the PMC pedal risers help. Also get the pedal blocks/extensions sown in the picture. They’re cheap and they work. Bell GP2 helmet is a good helmet and it’s really small. Get the rib tech chest protector from the GoPro motorplex kart shop.

Like I said, I Just went through all this and I’m local.

I’m in Gastonia.

Attachments

• AAAAF033-3186-446F-AB0D-E218459A8552.jpeg
    AAAAF033-3186-446F-AB0D-E218459A8552.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 36
Go to the track and talk to folks. At that age, usually someone knows someone who has a kid moving up and is looking to let go of a kid or cadet kart. Facebook marketplace is where I found my daughters rig, and it was a great deal but the deals can get sketchy depanding on where you live. I also say to geographically conentrate your searches in or near a city that has a large race track; you’ll get more results that way.

Some tracks also sell used karts on consignment, but in my experience they ask way too much. So I tend to favor word of mouth 1st, FB Marketplace 2nd.

Also are you looking to go dirt or sprint/ asphalt?

Good luck.

Go to the track and talk to folks. At that age, usually someone knows someone who has a kid moving up and is looking to let go of a kid or cadet kart. Facebook marketplace is where I found my daughters rig, and it was a great deal but the deals can get sketchy depanding on where you live. I also say to geographically conentrate your searches in or near a city that has a large race track; you’ll get more results that way.

Some tracks also sell used karts on consignment, but in my experience they ask way too much. So I tend to favor word of mouth 1st, FB Marketplace 2nd.

Also are you looking to go dirt or sprint/ asphalt?

Good luck.
In case you have more info he says in post #4 dirt oval

Yo bud you might be in luck! I've got a kart that I built years ago with a small Briggs on it that I'll give ya. No scam just fact. My grandsons went 10 feet and said he's done lol. He was 4 when it was built so everything is scaled back. Probably won't be the most competitive kart but he could definitely get his feet wet. Would only need oil change and tires, I'm in Rutherfordton Nc. Pm me if interested later Chuck.

I've got a kart that I built years ago with a small Briggs on it that I'll give ya. No scam just fact. My grandsons went 10 feet and said he's done lol. He was 4 when it was built so everything is scaled back. Probably won't be the most competitive kart but he could definitely get his feet wet. Would only need oil change and tires, I'm in Rutherfordton Nc. Pm me if interested later Chuck.
Good deal for someone local .

Check with your local track(s.) Like I said in my previous post, few dirt tracks offer a class that uses "kid kart" chassis - that is primarily a sprint track chassis. The chassis and engine will be different.
Full sized adult flat kart chassis with small seats and pedal risers will be used at most dirt ovals.

I was selling a welder . Great price too an acquaintance . Told em to be here on sunday . Dug it out never showed , month later he arrives . Sorry i put it back away . He was mad as a wet hen . I had to get my hoist setup , dig it out , clear the space and wait all day . Then put everything back away .

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Ya I got ya on that, can't believe nobody local pm 'ed me about it either later Chuck.
I can't imagine that -- especially for someone just getting started.
Maybe he learned that he was in over his head, or that there wasn't a class for his young-in locally, who knows. Like you said, you would have thought someone would have jumped on the deal.
I had a customer "donate" some flathead engines to me probably a year ago now so that I could help get some folks started with some pretty solid engines on the cheap -- All I asked was for my rebuild on them to be covered and had people balk about that. Glad I could eventually find homes for the orphans, but in reality they were pretty solid engines from a reputable builder!

flattop, I know too well how you feel. I have a HUGE pit cart here in our shop that came from an Indy car team -- I've listed it on and off for probably 6-7 years now...I've had numerous people say they were going to come look at it (even said they would buy it) then never show. It would take me the better part of a day to dig it out only to get stood up. It still sits here today.

Back