Newbie question for restricted motors

Tanderson01

Hey everyone, I am new the the karting and Animal world so I have what may be a stupid question but in the interest of expanding my knowledge I’ll ask it anyway. If you are running a restrictor plate (a gold plate for example), does it basically negate your internal mods or is it still worth the money to have the motor built with aftermarket internals?

The internals are usually the same from unrestricted to a plate motor. It is all in carb settings. And whoever you have build it make sure they build it with a pipe to compliment the track you will be running. The pipe and carb of a plate animal are what make them fast.

Rod and cam also valve springs are the basic aftermarket parts .
The rest is all Briggs . Of course everything must pass a spec .
You can not , just slip a big cam and stroker crank in there .

Hey everyone, I am new the the karting and Animal world so I have what may be a stupid question but in the interest of expanding my knowledge I’ll ask it anyway. If you are running a restrictor plate (a gold plate for example), does it basically negate your internal mods or is it still worth the money to have the motor built with aftermarket internals?
To answer your question:
Yes, it will be necessary and well worth the money.
I suppose, if your competition is not very strong, you could be competitive without a blueprinted engine, but it will not compete with engines that have been built to the rules by a professional engine builder. Compression, cam, quality parts, etc all add up to a better performing engine.

If there is anything that we can do to help you, please don't hesitate to call on us.
-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Blue Printing the engine becomes even more important in restricted engines ( the smaller the plate the more important ) as compared to unrestricted engines.

Things that help a restrictor motor that are done in the blueprinting process:
Replacing the stock cam with a better one will improve the breathing capability and HP
Increasing the HP by machining the head and deck will also help make more HP.
Reducing friction by machining certain components will improve HP.
Setting the carb to function with the restrictor plate in place will increase HP.
Setting the ignition timing properly for the fuel you are using and rpms will improve HP
Dyno testing and adjusting things for each engine build is critical to to max performance.
Knowing where the HP, torque and how many RPMs to turn the engine is very important.
If your engine builder doesn't have a dyno, or if he says he builds them all the same way and says dyno testing isn't necessary find another engine builder.

Back