Newbie questions

Tatergun

I make an attempt to read the threads at random when I have chance just for the knowledge but this entire area is all new to me.

I am looking at purchasing a few new sets of burris 33a as thats what our local tracks run but I've found several 2019/2020 sets stating freshly cut, low races, no hard prep etc.

What I am looking for is knowledge on what to look for if buying used. Whats good with thick vs thin,? Why are tires cut right out of the gate? Do you cut tires again after they've been cut the first time or is resurfacing them and prepping them enough? Basically what am i looking for in a used set?

Like stated I plan to purchase a few new sets to start with but if I could find deals on used sets I wouldn't mind having a few on hand as well.

Trying to learn as much as possible before spring when it comes to this kart stuff as its really not nothing like ive done.

I am a hands on person and would eventuallyike to be able to do everything I can in house. I took a pretty decent paycut to be off on the weekends so my kids could get into this so thats why I need to learn the ends and outs of kart racing! Thanks to all you old heads with the wealth of knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are just running the same track every week, then you will typically get dialed in pretty quickly on what tire profile and tread depth works best there, and when. Dirt tracks are always changing. It helps if the track is prepared the same way every week, then you get into t a routine of what is needed. Even then, the track can throw you a curveball every now and again.
It's nice to build an "inventory" or tires that are used in different applications.
Thicker, thinner, rounder, flatter, etc. It seems like you never have enough tires, or even that "one" set that you would choose if you just had them. LOL
We cut (blueprint) a LOT of Burris 33s, and currently have 8 different templates for cutting the right side tires alone.
Generally you don't cut tires more than once -- you refinish (sand) them weekly. We can/have re-cut tires for customers if they want to get some more life out of them with a different profile. Generally you cut them the same profile (or at least similar) to how they were previously cut. (ie you can't make a set of round cuts into flat cuts since the shoulders have already been cut down.) You can make them flat(ter) between the wear dots though. Likewise, you can re-cut the shoulders on a set of flat cut or intermediate cuts if there's enough meat left on them. For a guy on a budget and with limited tires, you can get some more use out of them this way, but it's generally not the way to go for top competitors.
New blueprinted tires with the "right" profile cut can be a huge advantage (especially with Burris.)
If there's any way that we can help specifically, give us a call at the shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back