Newbie Road Course Kart Racing Help

KartRacer392

As the title states, I am basically a complete novice when it comes to road course racing. I have about 12 years of making left turns but only experience in making right turns is rentals at a local track. We have an older Ionic Edge but realized just recently that a CIK body kit won't fit on the chassis. I'm looking at buying an Ionic Edge just for parts interchangeability if I bend or break something. Some background info about me is I am on the taller and heavier side, 6'4" at about 250. The bad part is my torso is taller than most. The questions I have are:
  1. As a heavier driver, do I need to get a softer or stiffer axle and seat?
    1. Options are a 1.25" standard, super soft, and a 40mm.
  2. Recommendations for seats that lean the driver back more for lower CG?
  3. Any general tips for set-up?
Any help is greatly appreciated

40mm medium stiffness axle. Don't lean seat back, you need to be comfortable and able to see your race lines. Get ur kart scaled, nose weight and a properly setup front end will get that kart cornering well. Get as much seat time as you can and ask your fellow competitors for a good gear ratio at the track your running. Check out what tires the fast guys are using as well.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully you don't mind me asking. What effect does the stiffness of the axle and seat do to the handling of the kart? The tires that my local track uses is the Bridgestone YDS for now. Don't know what they'll go to once Bridgestone gets out of the kart tire game.

Sorry at that height/weight with a big torso nothing you do will make much difference. You'll have a push and snap oversteer and also big aerodynamic disadvantages on track biger than 1/4 Mile. Get your seat as far forward as you can, tilt the steering wheel as far forward as it will go, put your seat 3/4" off the ground and space all 4 tires as wide as they will go. Hard tires are your friend. If only karts were a little bigger.

If I were you I would check with Paul Rice at MGM. Excellent customer service and great prices too.

Talk to Paul.
It is do able. You may need an extended porch on the front to accommodate your legs. He can also get you a Beasley seat that will help get you down out of the air.

When you say road course racing I am assuming you mean road racing not sprint? IF you are talking road racing, Aero is important, at your size you need the Beasley seat laid back at the maximum allowed angle of 50 degrees per WKA.

When you say road course racing I am assuming you mean road racing not sprint? IF you are talking road racing, Aero is important, at your size you need the Beasley seat laid back at the maximum allowed angle of 50 degrees per WKA.
I would be mainly doing sprint racing with a few bigger street races.

Back