NKA vs AKRA

KKania17

Always was a die hard flathead and kt100 guy as clones were coming into the game and developing, took a several year leave for stock car racing, as I came back everything (besides a tiny pocket where I am) has moved to clones... and I’m probably going to need to get one at some point...

Generally what is different between the rules packages, is one legal for the other or vice versa? If you had the option to run either at the same event does one produce more raw power than the other or have any kind of noticeable advantage?

How old of updates can you get away with and be competitive or should they all be 2020? Updates are what scared me away from the engines in general as I wasn’t racing often, I liked my flatheads where the rules have been the same and just freshen as needed but times are changing. The gas deal seemed iffy too

General rule of thumb with gearing, a clutch gear or two higher than flathead?

Lastly any recommendations on a good builder? Someone who cares and isn’t just collecting money or taking money and running like Schu did? I’m aware of the big names out there and have a few in mind, just curious what everyone’s thoughts were. Basically what’s up front these days? Lol

Any and all info is appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Kyle Kania

Last edited:
The short of it is akra allows porting .
There are differences in cam specs .
Certainly some other things as well .
The gas thing really worked out pretty good .

Like Flattop said AKRA are ported, NKA allows for more cam. 100% of our racing here is AKRA, so that’s what we use. Where your at I’m pretty sure it’s mixed or more NKA. NKA is more popular in the southeast. This all comes down to where your going to race the most. I think the NKA motors do better on larger tracks as they turn more rpms, but I could be wrong.
Updates have leveled out the last few years. Still have a motor from 17’ that runs right with our new motors.
Gearing from what I have found (we still run FH $$ races time to time) is same on driver 2-4 less on rear.
No suggestion on builders, we use local and have beat a bunch of big name national motors.
It’s all tires !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t expect to be where you were 3-4 years on tires, the game has changed.

If you have any more questions about the two organizations feel free to call me and I will fill ya in on the engine specs. You have been given some good info so far but there is a little more. Don 570-515-0379 evenings

This would not happen every time but we won a few local races on a 2015 AKRA engine with no port work and Cl1i cam. Had the tires right those nights

Even with the pa maxxis series mixing both rule sets almost everyone was running AKRA. Pretty easy to see when they were putting stickers on them after time trials in tech. Nothing special anymore from my understanding on updates other than if your engine builder is working in the grey areas they keep making tech items for. I'd call Matt Hummel, Roy Ensor or Matt Chavis and be done with it since they're more local Kyle. All will make plenty of smoke like the other big names but will answer the phone/turn around time better than most.

Just my two cents.

Can’t thank everyone enough for the replies, PMs, and phone calls! Definitely have a better idea of what’s going on and what I need to do. 👍

Can’t thank everyone enough for the replies, PMs, and phone calls! Definitely have a better idea of what’s going on and what I need to do. 👍
What u should do is call Ensor Speed Shop and Roy and Mrs Caroline will take the motor out of the equation for u!!

Back