No need for animal.

I totally agree if a track is hurting for car count, then it's maybe not the best idea to break off of the 206 class.
But if the 206 class is as healthy there as it is in most sprint tracks, I don't think a few leaving will hurt the overall program at all.
To say that there is "no need for animal" is more of a wreckless and "dangerous" statement in my opinion. That has ramifications to ALL of the karting world, not just the sprint side of things. If the sprint guys want to embrace the SS 206 over a BP animal, WF, KT100, etc class, then have at it.

I don't care which platform is used. But switching from the clone (clown) engine to the animals based program will be cheaper for the racer with less time spent replacing broken parts and replacing the cheap Chinese built engine.
And don't give me the old parts are made in China! We need to remember there are cheap Chinese factories that produce the lowest price engine in the world (The Clone). There are other who upon request will produce quality parts for a higher price.
Old saying when building a race engine. You have 3 options. Cheap, reliable, fast. Choose 1.
Sad thing is the stock lo 206 is cheaper than the the builder prepared clone. And by far a superior platform and the builder prepared animal is about the same price. But by far the best engine for racing.
The animal gives you two of the choices, reliable and fast. And with current pricing same cost as builder blueprinted clone.

It’s a valid point and a good word of caution.
At the same time, there needs to be “a step up” in sprint racing (I am a sprint guy). The 206 has been and continues to be an outstanding platform for introductory racers. Unfortunately, much like the predator, it’s also become the home for trophy hunters.
The SS206, WF. and even some form or fashion of the Animal can all be made to run together as one class. Will it take work, yes. Will there be growing pains, of course.
But, it will also create opportunities for both racers and engine builders.

It’s a valid point and a good word of caution.
At the same time, there needs to be “a step up” in sprint racing (I am a sprint guy). The 206 has been and continues to be an outstanding platform for introductory racers. Unfortunately, much like the predator, it’s also become the home for trophy hunters.
The SS206, WF. and even some form or fashion of the Animal can all be made to run together as one class. Will it take work, yes. Will there be growing pains, of course.
But, it will also create opportunities for both racers and engine builders.

Btjones65, I agree with you. I've been talking to some at our (sprint) track about this idea. Just to test the water, last season I built an Animal with a 275 cam and matching valve springs, billet rod, WF piston, blue coil, and alcohol jet kit. My son and neighbor/racing buddy put Yamahas on their karts and the three of us ran in the open class. The three of us could literally run bumper to bumper. Everyone there was surprised to hear how little I did to my Animal, and see what I gained in performance.

Just like most sprint tracks, our Briggs platform has the most participation. Currently, the only way to move into a faster class is switch to a two-stroke. That's a pretty sizable investment for some, and with the Yamaha being phased out it's going to get worse. As you say, there will be some growing pains, but I think the idea could take off in the sprint kart world.

Animal = $300.00 for hand held starter
206 Super Stock = pull start = Zero cost

There are multiple cams with compression relase that fit the animal .
If it fits a 206 it fits an animal . As you well know . Why push the starter deal anyone with an animal has a starter .
The idea of moving up with put going too the two stroke has validity .
Thats a good point .
Is the animal head that big of an advantage ?

The SS206, WF. and even some form or fashion of the Animal can all be made to run together as one class.

I have to respectfully disagree. That scenario is usually a last ditch effort to create a class from a failing venue that's become to fragmented with classes. Whenever you have multiple engines at different weights you get the Jeff Gorden effect. One Chevy does good then all Chevys get sanctions leaving most of the people running that package at a disadvantage. This makes people drop out eventually due to ridiculous weight penalties that increase week to week.

My take is if you can build your own SS animal from a 206 then you can also build a regular animal from a 206. The only difference would be HP and everyone will have the same HP. Of course the super stock has the mojo of having a modified hemi with a racing cam. Basically who do you want to buy your parts from.

Sundog

Maybe people would feel different if the name of the thread was “a new need for Animals”.

It may be that this need is only for sprint racing but, if the SS can also create a path for some old
Animals to get pulled off the shelf even if it’s for a year or two, that’s a good thing.

The first two sentences in post #1 .
[Most people don't realize how foolish going animal is when the 206 Super Stock is such a better option.
The super stock makes so much more sense since it is easier to build and doesn't require or allow any machine work, unless you call honing the cylinder to the next larger size machine work.]
This is the animal fourm .
I may not be on top of things , I do believe though , there are not droves of pepole buying new animals to start with .
Run the 206 ss with the animal add a better cam with compression release .
( no electric start needed ) .
Have a Minimum cc for the engine .
If the 206ss makes 13 hp and the animal makes 12hp that should even things up nicely.

Someone please educate me! I thought the Animal and the LO206 are basically the same engine, just the LO206 comes factory sealed and the Animal doesn't. If I'm understanding the latest posts correctly, if I took all the parts out of the Animal I built last year (see my post above) and put those same pieces in an LO206, the performance is going to be substantially different? If that's the case, what would it take to make the two engines equal? Please forgive my ignorance!

The Animal being talked about is wka rules legal.
Jimbo's super stock kit has a domed piston.
More compression, and a cam with more lift, even with an unported head, gives the 206ss a slight power edge.
The compression release still functional allows it to be rope started.

The animal engine is a completely blueprinted engine. Milled head, milled block, ground cam to fit the sanctioning body's rules (WKA & IKF), billet rod allowed, carb blueprinted (anything in the bowl is wide open,) runs on alcohol, any ignition timing, tape up the blower housing, any pipe (with exception of 5511, etc with port insert,) heavier valve springs, 12,000 rev limit coil, and more.
It is a long cry from the LO206 and makes about 50% more power.

The SS that Jimbo is promoting doesn't allow the machinework and blueprinting per-sea. It also uses a domes piston which substantially increases compression. It'll make about 1 CHP more than a BP animal.
Again, not the same as an LO206 OR an animal.

If one were to start combining engines in the same class, you could potentially end up with a mix like we had back in the 80's with 2 cycle piston port & rotaries. Make it an anything goes OHV 4 cycle class. That could work.

I can see us making a big circle and ending up right back where we was! Again as i have been saying for years, karting needs a healthy properly run karting organization driving the ship for the 4 cycle programs! I don't currently see it.........(n) and the capable people that could do this job don't want it.....too many head aches and no money in it.
So this is why we have so many tracks and small areas of the country adopting their own rules and specs to there liking's. The ideal senerio would be 1 or 2 organizations in the US with a common set of rules and regulations for everyone to follow. Kinda like the old flat head days!

Steve

Last edited:
The animal engine is a completely blueprinted engine. Milled head, milled block, ground cam to fit the sanctioning body's rules (WKA & IKF), billet rod allowed, carb blueprinted (anything in the bowl is wide open,) runs on alcohol, any ignition timing, tape up the blower housing, any pipe (with exception of 5511, etc with port insert,) heavier valve springs, 12,000 rev limit coil, and more.
It is a long cry from the LO206 and makes about 50% more power.

Ahh... Now it all makes sense. Thank you!

Am I correct in assuming that a brand new, straight-out-of-the-box Animal is very similar mechanically to an LO206?

Last edited:
UNIVERSAL BURRIS MINI STARTER FROM JC SPECIALTY

1585921174883.png

Item #:25100RH5
Reg. Price:$335.00
Our Price:$262.50
Add Shipping and you will be very close to $300.00

Why does your animal engine require an electric starter, Jimbo?
Dyno cams offers animal cams with the compression release the same as your SS cam.
$300 is awfully high priced for even the best starters on the market, btw.
Curious about the same thing. Many of us know that the standard compression release self destructs with high RPM and increased valve spring pressure. I have been working with animals as soon as I could buy one, before even headers and aftermarket rods were available. Through personal experience and permanent damage to my hand, I recommend that an electric starter always be used with an animal. If you say that this motor runs to 8000 certainly heavier valve springs are necessary. Have you done anything to make your compression release more dependable? I am curious as well, and if you don't consider it to be propriety information, what are the proposed cam specs for this class? I love the idea of boosting compression with a pop up piston vs cutting the head.

UNIVERSAL BURRIS MINI STARTER FROM JC SPECIALTY

View attachment 8698

Item #:25100RH5
Reg. Price:$335.00
Our Price:$262.50
Add Shipping and you will be very close to $300.00

Nothing against, JC - we have purchased items from them in the past...but with a little looking in your google browser, Jimbo, you will find Coleman electric starters under $175. They're HD unit for starting open 4-strokes is only $220. BBT offers a nice starter for $275, and their lithium ion model for around $500 if you're into that.
FWIW, I broke my Burris HD starter on the dyno starting an open Tec Star engine a few months back.
I still prefer to electric start our 206 rebuilds on the dyno. Then I bolt the pull starter back in place before shipping them out.

FWIW, I bought my wife our first electric starter 30+ years ago for starting 6:1 flatheads and have never regretted it.

CarlsonMotorsports (or whoever else wants to respond): In thinking about your response some more, how much is typically machined off the block deck and head of Animal to build a WKA legal stock? I understand it's going to vary from engine to engine when building to a certain spec, but generally how much is machined off? Why I ask is I'm thinking that would be the main difference between the Animal I built (which was a WKA legal stock) and doing the same thing to an LO206.

Back