No oil

Is this a hypothetical question or did you run the engine without oil?
The answer will depend if you just started it up, shut it down quickly or ran it until it stopped running.
Usually the rod will seize to the crank, Piston will scar and dig into the sleeve, wrist pin will start to seize. If it will run longer than a minute without oil , Every moving part will have some damage.
If you did run the engine , it will need a rebuild probably New piston, rings, rod, crank , More than likely bore the cylinder out to get scratches out, possibly cam lobes will wear down. Been there , done that. Did not get a trophy.

Is this a hypothetical question or did you run the engine without oil?
The answer will depend if you just started it up, shut it down quickly or ran it until it stopped running.
Usually the rod will seize to the crank, Piston will scar and dig into the sleeve, wrist pin will start to seize. If it will run longer than a minute without oil , Every moving part will have some damage.
If you did run the engine , it will need a rebuild probably New piston, rings, rod, crank , More than likely bore the cylinder out to get scratches out, possibly cam lobes will wear down. Been there , done that. Did not get a trophy.

Yes we ran a motor with out oil. Made one lap and realized what happened.

Had a throttle sticking on while leading a heat race. Had to exit the track. Talked to tech and everyone involved and decided to swap motors. Got in a rush and forgot something.

Like Don said, One lap is enough without oil. It happens more often than some think. But still it needs to come apart. There will be enough damage that I doubt very seriously It will go more than a few laps before it goes boom.
I have seen drivers put the oil drain plug in the seat along with the wrench, or just put a new bottle oil in the seat. Before draining the oil. I think most of us have at least one time started an engine with oil. Or without re installing the oil filler cap. That just gets real messy.
Especially when you are rushed! it just happens. Along with other stupid stuff. Forgetting to put fuel in? Loose lug nuts.
Lets hear some of the stupid thing anyone has done!! Should get interesting.

Especially when you are rushed! it just happens. Along with other stupid stuff. Forgetting to put fuel in? Loose lug nuts.
This should be in the general forum lol. Non clone guys may not visit

Put some oil in it and fired it up. Ran pretty good. Going to put it on a dyno just for a point of reference. Then we’ll rebuild it.
Talk to most engine builders and they'll tell you it happens more than people will admit. You'll want a rod for sure. The crank may be fine, may need polished, or may need replaced. If it was in solid condition to start with and you shut it down quick enough there likely won't be much damage. I wouldn't run it without having it gone through. Depending on where the engine was at in it's life it may not be too costly of a mistake. If it was only a few races away from needing to be rebuilt then not a big deal; if was relatively early in it's life cycle then it hurts the pocket book a bit but you'll recover. One Fast Cat gave some good examples of "reminders" to put in place when changing the oil to not forget to add oil back in.

One of the bigger asphalt races we ran years back, daughter was fast, put it on pole, needed to stretch the LR in a hurry. Put about 65# of air in it while on the kart. Feature started she was horrible and highly upset. 2 hour ride home, no words spoken. I just couldn't figure out what happened. at 3am still couldn't sleep, I'm like idiot I never took the air outta the tire. Walked out to the trailer to check the tire & yup I messed up bigtime. I even woke her up to tell her I was sorry.
Now they always do their own air pressure at the track lol.

Brake rotor rubbing . Driver said leave it alone . I couldn't . Cation came out in the lead no Brakes .
Local track early on . Chain comes off. Corner worker and i are trying too put it on .Driver in the kart . Rolled my finger right on in the sprocket . That left a mark .
That is something that you only do once! Like trying to hand tighten the EGT sensor while engine is running. Posting that for a friend I am too smart to do that?;)

Big end of the rod is the first to go. A LOT depends on the type/quality of oil you use. Just one lap under caution or WO? If good oil, it may be ok but I'd tear it down before doing anything else and at least look at the rod and crank.
It had Thor in in. It got one hot lap in under green.

Back