No tire prep question

Looking to start racing next year with my 9 year old son at Mountain Creek Speedway in Catawba, NC. They run a LO206 junior class, you must purchase the Burris 11’s from them and they do not allow tire prepping. I never had any experience with Burris tires when I raced only Maxxis, what can I expect from the tire, they are also doing a Hoosier 10 option as apparently Burris is in short supply right now.
Now I know my son has a huge learning curve ahead and will only go as fast as he is comfortable with at first and until confidence is gained. What can I do to help put some grip in the kart since trie prep is not allows and the track doesn’t look like it gets hard enough to rubber up.
Thanks in advance for any responses and help.

Just the fact there 11s VS maxxis will put grip in the kart regardless of no prep, If the kart was hooked up on Maxxis I wouldn't touch the set up with the 11's you'll have 3 % or so less cross. Are you allowed to cut the 11s ? If so that will be the question !!

Ken, reread what he wrote lol. He said he used to race on Maxxis. Now I believe he’s asking if 11s or Hoosiers are better to start his son on, who’s never raced before.

Yes I used to race on Maxxis 10 plus years ago and have never dealt with either Burris or Hoosiers. This will be my sons first year, we will be running a Charger Magnum for the year, just to see if he enjoys it. No I do not believe they let you cut the tires, because at the being of the season they were making people buy, mount and leave the tires at the track, now they are letting you at least take them home between races.

Ken, reread what he wrote lol. He said he used to race on Maxxis. Now I believe he’s asking if 11s or Hoosiers are better to start his son on, who’s never raced before.
Got ya thanks for bringing it to my attention, with that being the case your in for so growing pains regardless, So I'd start on the 11s with a good base line set up in the charger and learn as you go.
Good Luck !!

Just the fact there 11s VS maxxis will put grip in the kart regardless of no prep, If the kart was hooked up on Maxxis I wouldn't touch the set up with the 11's you'll have 3 % or so less cross. Are you allowed to cut the 11s ? If so that will be the question !!
Will I have 3% less cross on the Burris just due to the compLund of the the Burris tires versus the Maxxis? Also will reducing cross (if needed) after running Charger’s suggested percentage, help free the kart up? Also, someone mentioned more right side percentage to help. What is this exactly doing as weight transfer goes?
I know this is way ahead of the game as he has a lot to learned before worrying excessively about this. Just trying to help him with handling and grip as this will not be possible with preps, which truth be told I am excited about.

Yeah, I think we can all see what’s gonna happen if they don’t impound those tires and let everyone take them home. Pretty naive of the track promoter to think people aren’t going to take advantage of this. And the clowns who prepped and still lost will accuse the winner of prepping tires.

Wouldn't a simple duro check tell if a tire has been prepped?
Not necessarily because the compound is so soft to begin with. if anything I would think people would be rolling these with just bite to extend the life of the tire and not dropping the duro because it’s such a limited HP class. Hell it wouldn’t surprise me if people were intentionally letting them harden up just to get better roll speed.

Of the two -- I'd try the Hoosier 10s and get up on air (especially compared to where you would be on Maxxis.)
Add bite as needed with a prep that does not drop duro (something like our Black Bite 2.0)

Agreed with others that if they let you take the tires home, you had better believe that guys will have them cut and prepped!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We race mountain creek, there very strick, no sanding, cutting, softening, the tires are not allowed on your trailer, if it rains you have to pull them off, turn them in, when we are done racing they let you wash them in there big tub with water only and check them in the building, now the summer season is done they let us bring them home but there going to check everyone randomly

We race mountain creek, there very strick, no sanding, cutting, softening, the tires are not allowed on your trailer, if it rains you have to pull them off, turn them in, when we are done racing they let you wash them in there big tub with water only and check them in the building, now the summer season is done they let us bring them home but there going to check everyone randomly
Testing how? Will they take samples and send them off to a lab or just give it a duro check and a sniff test? If they aren't going to the lab, I'd find something to roll with and just roll them really early.

Side note, do they let you buy an extra set just incase you have a problem? If they dont let you sand, how do you keep a tire fresh? If they let you have two sets, I'd keep a revolving door on which was rolled when to keep them as fresh as possible.

LOL, do they have people assigned to each racer and watch closely?

No, but each tire is marked color of the class and the kart number, you can’t even wipe the dirt off between rounds, they ant running for money, the racing is super close, if you cheat and can’t run a bigger gap you need to find a different sport

Testing how? Will they take samples and send them off to a lab or just give it a duro check and a sniff test? If they aren't going to the lab, I'd find something to roll with and just roll them really early.

Side note, do they let you buy an extra set just incase you have a problem? If they dont let you sand, how do you keep a tire fresh? If they let you have two sets, I'd keep a revolving door on which was rolled when to keep them as fresh as possible.
Duro test, if you cut one down like we did the first race you can buy a replacement threw them, we have ran 9 races on the Burris and they have hardly any wear

Duro test, if you cut one down like we did the first race you can buy a replacement threw them, we have ran 9 races on the Burris and they have hardly any wear
Well you race to your conscience, but if they're letting me take my tires home, and aren't lab testing, I'm prepping them.

Back