Non-hemi seat, valve spring question

OPdemigod

I have a non-hemi (model #69730). When I was cleaning the head I noticed there was only one valve spring seat in the head. When I looked at the diagram for the 69730 in the manual, this appears to be correct (although it doesnt make sense to me). However, in the same manual, in the parts diagram for model #69727, it shows 2 valve spring seats (which seems correct). So the question is, does the non-hemi model #69730 really only have one valve spring seat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

What part are you calling the valve spring seat? The valve spring seat is the pocket around the guide where the spring sits, some call it spring pocket. There is a spring seat under each spring, cast into the head. Sounds to me like you are referring to the oil seal that slips around the top of the guide in the predator heads, the little rubber boot

you are correct WDR... I misread the parts list. The diagram still on shows one seal for model #69730, can this be right?

It depends on the casting. Some have a "pocket around the intake side and on the exhaust side it's just flat.. some (rtc9 have 2 flats nothing around the springs o.d.)

The need for valve seals at the intake valve only, is because the low pressure in the intake tract causes oil to be pushed into the combustion chamber. The exhaust tract is positive pressure forced outward. You are seeing a valve seal it is not a spring seat.

The need for valve seals at the intake valve only, is because the low pressure in the intake tract causes oil to be pushed into the combustion chamber. The exhaust tract is positive pressure forced outward. You are seeing a valve seal it is not a spring seat.
Yep , And a little oil getting into that Hotter exhaust valve without the seal is a good thing .

Back