Non resistor

This REALLY needs to be changed. Allow no resistor. The values of resistance are all up and down the board. If resistors are mandatory, hand picking boots will rear its ugly head and some diy guys will be lost.

This REALLY needs to be changed. Allow no resistor. The values of resistance are all up and down the board. If resistors are mandatory, hand picking boots will rear its ugly head and some diy guys will be lost.
Barking up the wrong tree for performance.

I understand on the performance issue but there are many boots out there with no resistor and some have over twice the resistance of others.

Tell me what you think the resistor is doing? The mixture is burning right, so what harm is a resistor doing? There must be a spark at the spark plug, the engine is running, and this idea that a hotter spark is available without the resistor, and the hotter spark will make more power, well, it's just not true.

It takes a certain amount of voltage to jump the gap, the moment that voltage is reached at the plug, the plug fires, resistor or not, no difference.

Tell me what you think the resistor is doing? The mixture is burning right, so what harm is a resistor doing? There must be a spark at the spark plug, the engine is running, and this idea that a hotter spark is available without the resistor, and the hotter spark will make more power, well, it's just not true.

It takes a certain amount of voltage to jump the gap, the moment that voltage is reached at the plug, the plug fires, resistor or not, no difference.

Al I have a feeling it is more about the "perceived advantage" than about the actual performance gain itself

Al I have a feeling it is more about the "perceived advantage" than about the actual performance gain itself
And yet people will ignore anything I say about air density. They will ignore what I say about jetting. Worse yet, they dismiss me. I don't race LTO, so what can I know, as if that had anything to do with air density and jetting.

Thanks for the encouragement.

To jump the gap is the key.
Test the spark of the resistor at .025 then .060.then test the spark of a non resistor at .065 - .075.
It may not be more power but it does help with less fouling and a larger spark.
This is why auto makers have gone to hotter spark systems and larger plug gaps.

To jump the gap is the key.
Test the spark of the resistor at .025 then .060.then test the spark of a non resistor at .065 - .075.
It may not be more power but it does help with less fouling and a larger spark.
This is why auto makers have gone to hotter spark systems and larger plug gaps.
I have an idea that fuel economy and emissions are a big reason for some of those changes.

AKRA has decided as long as the boot has no visual signs of alteration as per the rules the boot is considered legal.

Thanks, Don and AKRA, very logical and quick decision. Now I can come home from the track with my coil and boot in one piece and functioning.

If your tech official doesnt know how to take a boot apart to check for the resistor, he should be supplying you with a new boot if/when he breaks yours, in my opinion. Its easy enough to tell which are the boots with a resistor and which are the boots that dont have them, no need to break them apart. At least now its not an issue either way

I agree with Bennie and for the cost of good Ole common sense . I have replaced many boots and have seen no performance gain. This is one of those rules they don't need to be a stickler on besides taking a chance on breaking a person's part in tech. Realize ,no performance gain ,a replacement part that most likely won't have the resistor that doesn't do anything. ,do we or would you really want to be dq'd over something as silly as this

I agree with Bennie and for the cost of good Ole common sense . I have replaced many boots and have seen no performance gain. This is one of those rules they don't need to be a stickler on besides taking a chance on breaking a person's part in tech. Realize ,no performance gain ,a replacement part that most likely won't have the resistor that doesn't do anything. ,do we or would you really want to be dq'd over something as silly as this
That is why I went to work on the issue.

Than you don very good call on a zero performance gain I have done over 50 pulls on my dyno testing this and absolutely no power gain my dyno is inertia with data trends software again thank you don!!!

Back