Noobie questions...

FP-74

Hi! I have an OLD Ultramax (so old there is no number under master cylinder) I have raced once on a private clay track. almost oval with a jog in and out on back side. Came in dead last as I expected. Kart appears to be an offset. They race Saturday nights with around 12 or so karts.
when I got it, there was NO way I could fit in this thing. I’m a 63 year old biggish guy 5,10” 275 lb so I had to improvise mounting seat way back on a plate. 2nd oldest driver there.. It was a blast!
Attached pics for you folks to pick apart. I will take no offense at anything pointed out. I would like to make some improvements (maybe exhaust, carb, air cleaner and possibly moving gas tank. ANY-advice would Be greatly appreciated! (Sorry for the long post
Gary

Attachments

• kart 1.jpg
    kart 1.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 126
  • kart2.jpg
    kart2.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 126
  • kart 4.jpg
    kart 4.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 126
I take it no rules ? lol
What have the others done ? You can do all that you suggested and more . I would find out from the group leader and see what or if they have any rules for engine and stuff . If they are keeping it Box Stock you may just have to get a new engine , or rebuild that one . It may be a little worn out and need rings and such . Having fun is the main thing ..

Rules? I've seen everything from 9 hp, 212 preditors to 2 stroke snowmobile engines! the Honda that's on it seems to go faster than I can drive it for now... the other guys karts are nicer than my antique and they are much more experienced than me... None of their karts have stock carbs or exhaust.
Thanks for the replies!

Inferno, octane or , blaze . A u-max person will know .
I have a set of three spindle's should you need spares .
The seat looks like a medium .

Your front end geometry looks way out of whack. The right front appears to be straight and the left tire is turning left pretty hard.
It’s hard to tell from the pics but is there any stagger in the front or rear?
A proper setup will really help.
Good luck and have fun!

thanks again for the great advice! I'm in central Connecticut. Ill look at that front end and straighten it out.

Yeah, the seat was like that when I got it. I have to order one but I have to be sure that it will fit (shipping is crazy high).
"properly" mounted may be a tall order... I had to cover the whole bottom with aluminum and mount the seat as far back as possible. the seat slides that are for that frame are WAY too close to steering wheel for me to fit. Also I have no clue as to how it was originally mounted. The guy I got it from had the left side screwed into a piece of scrap wood. I have the seat back about 8 inches to get my fat self in and out. (my legs/Knees aren't so good) Ultramax was no help.. they were friendly enough but said it was too old to get drawing.

Yeah, the seat was like that when I got it. I have to order one but I have to be sure that it will fit (shipping is crazy high).
"properly" mounted may be a tall order... I had to cover the whole bottom with aluminum and mount the seat as far back as possible. the seat slides that are for that frame are WAY too close to steering wheel for me to fit. Also I have no clue as to how it was originally mounted. The guy I got it from had the left side screwed into a piece of scrap wood. I have the seat back about 8 inches to get my fat self in and out. (my legs/Knees aren't so good) Ultramax was no help.. they were friendly enough but said it was too old to get drawing.
PRC has some good videos for proper seat mounting on you tube.

This is when you have to realize that karting may not be for you.
If the seat isn't mounted like the chassis manufacturer says, then there is nothing they can do for you, there won't be a way to get it set to the parameters they have for max performance.
In other words you'll just be riding around, if your ok with that, then that is fine

Back