not one of them oil threads again

JRW31526

okay, i got everything sorted out for my new open build, and with the cam im getting i get a quart of FHS 62R oil and i was wondering how good it is, it has to be better than your local auto parts store brand oil, what i want to know is how good is this oil? should i break in my engine with this oil or something else or save this oil for the first race? if i should save it what oil should i break my motor in with? (either way i will have to pay for another bottle) i was thinking running valvoline or royal in my motor, (dont have any race shops around that are kart friendly) lastly what is a good off the shelf oil i can run in my motor when i run out of this "racing oil"

We have run for several years with No failures...
Shell Rotella 5/40 diesel synthetic...with 35-45 ml of AC delco EOS

Kart oil is pretty much none existent here...and to get amsoil is big$$$...
If not we run Kendall with EOS

Rottela is great oil if you don't have access to fhs62r, I used to run Rottela in my mx days with no problems. But fhs62ris very superior to any Rottela. Tell you what to do; put Rottela in it and run 20 (laps practice or race) amongst other karts kicking up dirt, drain the oil and inspect it. Then do the same with 62r and make up your mind then.

Do NOT, do NOT switch back and forth from "kart" oil and other oils. Do NOT. 62r is a darn good oil. Im sure Rotella is too. Do not switch between them without flushing with mineral spirits very good first. They are NOT compatable.

We have run for several years with No failures...
Shell Rotella 5/40 diesel synthetic...with 35-45 ml of AC delco EOS

Kart oil is pretty much none existent here...and to get amsoil is big$$$...
If not we run Kendall with EOS

I've done more or less the same with normal rotella in the pre CJ-4 days.
Same reasons as you ( in Ontario )

I've been using mobile 1 with the OES at about the same ratio.
My only concern is the part number for EOS changed.
I don't think its the same formulation it used to be or how much real protection it offers compared to the old days.

But after much thought on the subject I am planning to make the move to some Synthetic 5-40 with the jap motor bike ratings on it.
Seems its a closer match to the conditions inside a clone than the newest generation diesels.

do not, do not switch back and forth from "kart" oil and other oils. Do not. 62r is a darn good oil. Im sure rotella is too. Do not switch between them without flushing with mineral spirits very good first. They are not compatable.

x222222222222222222222222222222222222

i use valvoline vr1 racing oil in my open engines with no problems at all . i walk in the door of carquest every friday afternoon and grab two bottles "off the shelf" works just fine for my opens

I needed a whitworth wrench in a panic one time up here and went to a premier tool and parts store to see if they could order it ASAP.
They told me they do not sell that brand...
That is quiet typical of shopping in Canada.

Racing oil?
They have no idea what that is up here.

i use valvoline vr1 racing oil in my open engines with no problems at all . i walk in the door of carquest every friday afternoon and grab two bottles "off the shelf" works just fine for my opens

Yup...same carquest company ask about a autolite 3910x after 15-20 mins said it was special order and $26.00 a plug, amsoil $17.99 a liter...just on the other side of the creek and companies do not act the same...
Good price on Kendall oil though

I needed a whitworth wrench in a panic one time up here and went to a premier tool and parts store to see if they could order it ASAP.
They told me they do not sell that brand...
That is quiet typical of shopping in Canada.

Racing oil?
They have no idea what that is up here.

Racing oil? What's that? Soon as you say that the cashier has $$$ in his eyes...
Just have to get a bit creative up here...and find out what works best...
Kendall has worked very well also...
Or if you are lucky you can find a deal on motorcycle oil at crappytire on clearance... I mean ChinaTire...

You hit it with the discussion of the oil. I run a Repsol motorcycle racing oil. I have it up - WAY UP and nothing has given me trouble between rebuilds. I actually agree with what you are trying to say about the break in.

Don't use your racing oil to break an engine in. Performance oils are too slippery and won't allow the rings to seat. I use an sae 30 'run of the mill' for break in, then my particular choice of oil for racing.

Back