oil and paint Questions

will.h#91

first I see there is three different kinds of the standard thro oil (light, medium, heavy) what do you use? I am trying to get in a adult beginner class, weight is 375 and in the kart I way about 335-340 and wanted to have a heavier oil to help some and thought that sense I had to add weight id get a heavier oil to cover to internal engine? was my thinking correct? second I think this was talked about but don't remember what it said, I got my phenom powder coated but the guy did a bad job the paint chipped terribly and thinking about sanding it and putting a rubber coating on them it not truck bed liner but close, I have seen something like this on other chassis but looks flat black and textured.

thanks, will

"second I think this was talked about but don't remember what it said, I got my phenom powder coated but the guy did a bad job the paint chipped terribly and thinking about sanding it and putting a rubber coating on them it not truck bed liner but close, I have seen something like this on other chassis but looks flat black and textured."

I wouldn't want anything textured because it would be harder to clean. Paint also has weight and I'd bet the textured paint will way more then regular paint or power coating. At 375 do you want or need to put weight on your kart? Instead of how it looks, you may want to ask what's the lightest kind of paint you can put on your kart?

"I see there is three different kinds of the standard Thor oil (light, medium, heavy) what do you use? I am trying to get in a adult beginner class, weight is 375 and in the kart I way about 335-340 and wanted to have a heavier oil to help some and thought that sense I had to add weight id get a heavier oil to cover to internal engine? was my thinking correct?"

Oil lubricates and will break down because of heat and abuse.

There are two things which will cause heat. They are making hp and abuse.

On the other hand if you don't have the hp or speed to over come grip, thinner oil will get you more usable hp. But thinner oil will also put you closer to abuse, heat and burning up your engine.

Because your new, because of the weight you will be carrying and because you will not be able to get up speeds of others, the potential for abuse, heat and burning up your engine with to thin an oil are high. I suggest putting the heavy stuff in it and getting seat time. The more seat time you get the less likely you will be to cause abuse to your oil. As you get quicker, get your gearing figured out so you can run your engine at a reasonable speed for what your using it for, then you can try the medium. But before you do it, ask around and get correct answers about what others at your track are using at your weight.

Like anything racing you have to weight the potential for change and the potential results you will get for everything. Oh, by the way the only result your interested in is increased speed out of what your putting on the track. And you will make mistakes and your mistakes will cost you a nickle or two. ... :)

I should have said this before the paint Question Is for the phenom the oil Question was for my other kart. I am not new to racing but was wondering why there are 3types of standard thor oil and if any one used this coating called plasti dip

Hope to address your questions.

Rocks will tear holes in the plasti-dip. It is not very durable at all from my experience. I used it on a few things here in the shop and eventually removed it all because it tore apart and looked so bad. One idea was to coat the metal wheels on a floor jack -- BAD idea. First time I rolled the jack, the plasti-dip coating peel right apart. Maybe there is a use for it -- I just was not happy with it at all. I certainly wouldn't recommend it no a kart frame. Why not get it to a quality powdercoater? You can also try to get a local auto body painter to "sponsor" you with free painting of your frame. We used to use Dupont Centauri with a lot of hardener added and found that to be very durable - I'm sure there are even better products available today.

As far as the oil....Most guys in your class would be using Thor Light. Think of the weights as 0W, 5W, & 10W. Lighter weight oils accelerate quicker and have less parasitic drag, therefor they are preferred by most engine builders in the stock classes where every little advantage is important. Keep in mind, that engine builders typically build their engines for the oil that they recommend. Ask your engine builder specifically what he suggests. That way there will be no argument when he does the next rebuild and finds wear. :)

I'd recommend Thor Light. Whatever brand/weight you decide on, be sure to change it often.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

power coating is expensive I have one sponsor ( Elite electrical & performance ) but using the money for tires and engine. and not shore who could do a good job still mad over how bad the last guy did it. how well would it work if I got it sand blasted and clear coat it with hardener in it ?

Here is how most racers look at oil when choosing the weight.....Light oil is for stock class engines like box stock and pro clone. Medium oil is for mild modified engines like stock appearing or limited modified. Heavy is preferred for open class engines where you turn very high rpm and put alot of abuse on the internal parts of the engine. Using a heavier oil than your engine actually needs or heavier oil than your engine is built for, can cause more harm than good. When a builder builds an engine, the clearances they set are done with the weight of oil they will be using kept in mind, what i mean by this is if a builder is going to build an engine with tight tolerances, he will reccomend you to run lighter oil, if hes building a loose tolerance engine that is built for speed and power instead of reliability, he would reccomend you to use medium or heavy oil most likely, and if he is building a really loose engine that is expected to last a few races before being brought back to rebuild it, he would most likely reccomend heavy oil, maybe medium sometimes. Hope this helps a little

You could also use the new lucas karting oil that ARC sells, which is medium weight but feels the same as thor light as far as weight/viscosity, seems to be a better quality oil than thor lite also, but more expensive. I have always used thor lite. Whatever you choose, stick with it, these motors do not like for oils to be mixed and changed around.

I always thought engine builders recommended what ever oil they got free from the manufacture. ...

Now that's funny! :O

Any oil manufacturers want to send me some free oil, I'll take it!
Lord knows I sell enough oil through the shop that it would be nice.

Thick MYLAR tape over all the tire blast area's . That can be cover with colored tape to match frame colors .

Back