oil compatability

barluc99

So I know ways to clean a motor out but just asking generally if a motor had Thor in it does it mix or seperate with Dyno K? One motor having different oil is recipe for disaster sooner or later.

Don't know . I do know i hear alot of stories about thor oil .
I would rinse it out why take the chance .

Don't know . I do know i hear alot of stories about thor oil .
I would rinse it out why take the chance .
Back in the day i ran Cool Power not knowing it was a PAG oil until 25 yrs later finding out it was a glorafied refrigerant oil and only is compatable with other PAG's so if Dyno K is a such oil then no worries.

Cool Power & Thor are both PAG based oils.

I do not know for sure about Dyno K, so I don't want to say something incorrect.

If you ever are concerned about compatibility of oils, add equal amounts of each in a clear glass container and watch to see if they separate (similar to how you do an alcohol fuel test.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Brian Carlson, do you know if Brad Penn Grade 1 oils are PAG based and if it will mix with Thor oil?? I will try the trick you suggested here in a bit to see if the 2 separate in a container. I take it if they separate they aren't compatible. Bought a Stock Appearing engine, former owner used Penn Grade, but I use either Thor Medium or Dover's Fine Wine..

Hey Brian Carlson, do you know if Brad Penn Grade 1 oils are PAG based and if it will mix with Thor oil?? I will try the trick you suggested here in a bit to see if the 2 separate in a container. I take it if they separate they aren't compatible. Bought a Stock Appearing engine, former owner used Penn Grade, but I use either Thor Medium or Dover's Fine Wine..

Any of the Brad Penn that I have used is def. PAO based -- it will NOT mix with Thor. Flush the crankcase thoroughly with mineral spirits and allow to dry before changing over to Thor.

Should clear up the Dyno K mystry.

Attachments

• Dyno K.jpg
    Dyno K.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 104
Thor and Dyno K are compatible, so is cool power gold and Dyno K.
Up until 2018, we ran Thor light in our FH and Gold in our Clones. Made the switch to Dyno K with zero issues and a bunch of wins.

I have used Cool Power medium green for several years and have had no issues of any kind with it . I do add a touch of Marvel Mystery Oil in with my oil changes . I have a test motor that I ran that has probably 125 nights of races on it , and it still fires up and runs pretty strong . I took it apart to check it out a couple of times and other than a light hone and replacing the side cover gasket , nothing was done to it . It is out dated now , and needs to be brought up to today's standards . Just saying , I have had no issues with Cool Power , and I know that wasn't the question asked , just adding my 2 cents , lol

The white oil is white 24 hrs later . The mix has seperated .
I have changed my opinion of oil .
Bumpy stated (I wouldn't run PAG Oil if it was Free ) !
I am in total agreement, much less pay top Dollar for it .
The worst thing is no rust protection .

The white oil is white 24 hrs later . The mix has seperated .
I have changed my opinion of oil .
Bumpy stated (I wouldn't run PAG Oil if it was Free ) !
I am in total agreement, much less pay top Dollar for it .
The worst thing is no rust protection .
What oil did you do your test with ?

Dyno k .
The two i mixed were dyno k and a semi syntehtic 4 stroke outboard oil .
It was all i had handy that was new .
I ran dyno k forever, with constant attention and rebuilds it was not a problem .
Now with all my engines in various dry storage .
Only two in climate stable . I wonder how much rust has developed .

Back