Oil for clone

Why do kart racers mostly (not all) use Polyalkylene Glycol oil instead of mineral based racing oils? I have not observed any other form of racing using PAG.
PAG oils have a high flash point and are less volatile than mineral oil meaning less chance of a fire.. They are also very stable at higher temperatures and have a higher viscosity index with very good cooling qualities. Unlike most other motorsports, we run air-cooled engines at 400+ degrees on gas, so those qualities become very important.

When compared to other synthetics, they have advantages and disadvantages like anything else. In many ways it’s a superior base oil but there are two cruical disadvantages. They can’t be mixed with other oils especially mineral oils which can be very problematic if you are an engine builder and your customer doesn’t understand the damage it can cause. Also PAG, in many cases, is miscible with water(water and oil do mix). You don’t want to store your engine with PAG as it can cause corrosion and if you are running methanol, which will pull water from the air, both mix in the oil. Water and methanol don’t make a good lubricates.

I highly recommend a full synthetic oil for all gas applications but not for methanol. Mineral Oils are not miscible with methanol at lower temperature allowing time for the methanol to evaporate or escape through your breather or vent to your catch can. You may still see the oil milk up but it will be far less than a synthetic oil.

I wouldnt exactly say that.
say what? that they are not top builders or that they use Sox oil? not sure what ksr oil is as its blue like several others. Gary Freeze told me to use Gibbs oil because shipping his would be too much. could these both be different colored? Sox oil i have no idea. but Miller oil is not compressor oil. it resembles motor oil not colored whatever.

Like I said before I use what my builder tells me to. easy enough to make them happy and im pretty sure they want their product to be as good/reliable as possible. As a general rule of thumb use the 'kart' stuff for anything 4 cycle on alky. but a gas engine can be run on whatever but its best to use your builders recommendation.
most of the time people recommend what their selling IMHO.

say what? that they are not top builders or that they use Sox oil? not sure what ksr oil is as its blue like several others. Gary Freeze told me to use Gibbs oil because shipping his would be too much. could these both be different colored? Sox oil i have no idea. but Miller oil is not compressor oil. it resembles motor oil not colored whatever.
About not being Sox oil, and yes it comes in quite a few different colors :)

I have a buddy that has won just about everything, his son has shelves full of 1st place trophies, his wife even finishes up front. 20w50 Royal purple and he changes after an ENTIRE race day.....ONCE.

Was told to run 11oz, you do the same?
Get a measuring cup, make sure your wife doesn't see you. Idle the engine for 3 min to heat up the oil. Turn the engine off.now. Take out the oil bolt with a 10mm....hold the measuring cup under it. Hold it there for 5 min or so....contemplate what you want for dinner. Put the oil bolt back. Look at the measuring cup. Pour the oil into an oil recycle container. Now put THAT much oil back in. Don't just pour a certain amount ANYONE suggests back in your motor. Mine is almost always 12oz on the mark in the measuring cup.

No idea . Never used it . Its likely made to be changed after 15-20 laps .
Probably no rust prevention properties.
Pao and pag oils do not mix .
Do a search here on that .

I use champion 0-30 karting oil it was released this year due the the previous 0-20 karting oil breaking down. My engines turn 7000+ and have no issues with this oil. Also when opened for rebuilds the engines are always clean with little wear

I use champion 0-30 karting oil it was released this year due the the previous 0-20 karting oil breaking down. My engines turn 7000+ and have no issues with this oil. Also when opened for rebuilds the engines are always clean with little wear
How often do you do rebuilds, and what all do you replace? I was turning around 7100 last night. Do you change oil after every weekend or after so many races?

How often do you do rebuilds, and what all do you replace? I was turning around 7100 last night. Do you change oil after every weekend or after so many races?
I rebuild at end of season we run May-beginning of September oil change at end of each night. When I do my rebuilds engine gets honed, cleaned, piston, rod, wrist pin, rings, new gaskets, bearings, springs, seals, carb rebuild, valves checked and relapped, everything gets checked for wear, clearances checked, crank gets checked including lobes, cam gets inspected……I’m sure I forgot to list things but it’s completely rebuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
We run 14-15oz. Thor, Coolpower, FHS any of the good karting oils work, just stay away from Junk like Lucas! I've personally rebuilt two engines ran on lucas that had destroyed cranks and rods within 5-6 races.
That’s extremely extremely odd because all we have ever ran in any of our clones or flatheads or any motors since lucas has made Karting oil has been lucas and our engine builder has had nothing but amazing things to say about the way it performs and the way our motors look and we run the piss out of them and run them longer then we should actually lol.and have a cpl different of the main engine builders in the business build our stuff.

I rebuild at end of season we run May-beginning of September oil change at end of each night. When I do my rebuilds engine gets honed, cleaned, piston, rod, wrist pin, rings, new gaskets, bearings, springs, seals, carb rebuild, valves checked and relapped, everything gets checked for wear, clearances checked, crank gets checked including lobes, cam gets inspected……I’m sure I forgot to list things but it’s completely rebuit.

I have a buddy that has won just about everything, his son has shelves full of 1st place trophies, his wife even finishes up front. 20w50 Royal purple and he changes after an ENTIRE race day.....ONCE.
I wouldn't put that junk in my lawn mowers... let alone my $1500 kart engines. Royal purple us pure dyed garbage and its been proven over and over again. Heck even quaker state is better than that over-marketed crap.

Back