oil in a 390

28 ounces is correct.
The ARC sidecover has a flat back to it, so it takes less oil than the stock (recessed) sidecover (32 ounces for it.)

I run my 390's on Enduro tracks. WOT for 25 minutes. I have billet side coves on both motors. I went to running 32 ounces. I turn it 7600 RPM and get zero oil carry over into the catch bottle. You will see methanol in the hose and bottle but only a mist of oil. I do not vent from the side cover. I block those ports off and vent with one 3/8 ID hose from the rocker cover. Works great. No more low oil issues and great lubrication to the top end.

I often see engines with multiple hoses from the side cover.
It must be the theory that if one hose is good 2 is better.
I always wonder how much oil ends up in their catch can after a race?

I often see engines with multiple hoses from the side cover.
It must be the theory that if one hose is good 2 is better.
I always wonder how much oil ends up in their catch can after a race?
do you think there could be too much vent? I was always told on the big blocks ' vent vent vent" because they have so much bottom end pressure with that big crank making a lot on wind down there.

The point i'm making is that people often run multiple hoses, (usually from the side cover) directly to the catch can.
The valve cover is normally the place that the hose to the catch can originates. The valve cover should have a baffle in it to help prevent oil from going out of the engine and into the catch can.
If you are getting excessive oil in the valve cover then solve that problem.
I also see people remove the baffle from the valve cover. The baffle also includes the PCV valve.
The PCV valve is very beneficial.
Briggs developed what they call the Breather Bypass System to help solve the problem of excessive oil accumulating in the valve cover. It works very well!!
Here's a picture of Briggs system and also the one i make. Mine is more robust!
http://www.fastermotors.net/Breathersystem.html

Back