oil leak ?

last weekend after 2nd heat noticed motor was covered in oil so i pulled it off replaced seals and new gasket it appeared to be coming from flywheel side seal. so after first heat again same thing when i installed seals they were put in strait and flush then pressed in a little bit deeper, 13 oz of oil not sure what the heck is going on i went ahead and ordered another motor so i dont have to worry about blowing oil all over my rr tire again but would like to get this one fixed for a spare has anyone ran into this problem before?

make sure your valve cover is vented properly could be building to much pressure and blowing by the seal

this might be way out there.....but you might have a bent crank. if your vented right and you replaced the seals and it still leaks, then it's either going to be too much crank case pressure blowing the seal or the crank is "wobbling" around the seal and it's creating a leak. i ain't no rocket surgeon, but it sounds to me like you have a more serious problem than just a venting issue.....but to be on the safe side and to know for sure, i'd vent the block up where the governor hole is/should be....

It is probably not the seal, or the valve cover, it is likely the head gasket at the oil passage, the fan on the flywheel will deposit this oil everywhere.

I am not sure if it's the head gasket it's new torqued to spec, bent crank maybe motor does have more vibration then most motors I have seen run but when I replaced seals I also replaced rod which old one did have any wear and the old seal was shot I would think if crank was bent it would wear rod history on motor was it was 2 races old but had been sitting for 2 years

I am not saying anyone is wrong I am new to racing so any advice will be looked into what makes you think the head gasket and 2 of them back to back I cleaned block and head of gasket and made sure no burrs or anything

From experience the crank seals don't generally leak. If they do leak it is usually minimal. I have seen the head gasket leaking on several engines and usually causes greif to find as most just don't want to find it. The point where it leaks is right in the path of the most airflow from the fanthat is why your engine is covered.

just a suggestion but is the head gasket flipped the wrong way? seen this before blew oil every where.

Mikey 56 , The crank could be bent if it was not stored vertical , just kidding going back to an earlier post about crankshaft storage.

To the original poster , post # 7 are you saying that you have two head gaskets stacked up? If I am reading that correctly that would not be a benefit to the performance end of things.

last weekend after 2nd heat noticed motor was covered in oil so i pulled it off replaced seals and new gasket it appeared to be coming from flywheel side seal. so after first heat again same thing when i installed seals they were put in strait and flush then pressed in a little bit deeper, 13 oz of oil not sure what the heck is going on i went ahead and ordered another motor so i dont have to worry about blowing oil all over my rr tire again but would like to get this one fixed for a spare has anyone ran into this problem before?
Is he backside of the flywheel coated in oil also? If not, I rather doubt the problem is the seal. Also, make sure the vent tube is unobstructed and your catch can is well vented. If all else fails, swap out the valve cover. JMO

Up side down head gasket is possible it was like 2 am and don't recall paying attention to how I put it on. And no I didn't mean I put two head gaskets on there is only one. What I meant to say was two seperate head gaskets leaking. I will check the behind the flywheel when I tear motor apart. The upside down head gasket has got me curious

I was just throwing the crank shaft out there...if it was bent, it would cause serious vibrations and other problems.....but! I used to work at the local dodge dealership while I was going to school...one thing that I did was check for water leaks and such from around windows and body joints. if oil works anything like water, hydrostatic pressure (in this case, oil not water) can cause all kinds of things to happen. I've seen water literally run up the windshield frame and leak from the roof...same can be said of oil....under racing conditions, the wind creates pressure and can cause oil to flow all kinds of ways and seems like it's coming from somewhere else...

how is it even possible to put a headgasket on upside down on these engines? im sorry but im just not seeing how that is possible
"\

check your valve cover gasket, those things will bend & blow oil everywhere like a seal is gone, seen it many times, put you a new one on and I guarantee you that will fix it. good luck

Had this same issue a few weeks ago. Check your overflow tank and make sure it is not clogged. Ours was packed with dirt and blew the crank seal out. Not sure how it happened but it did.

how is it even possible to put a headgasket on upside down on these engines? im sorry but im just not seeing how that is possible
"\

The gasket dowel holes are the same size on the bottom. So it can be flipped over and in return the large oil hole on the right side of the deck is now only sealed half way by the gasket. I could be wrong but when looking at the top right of the head if you see the ear hanging out from the gasket it is on wrong.

Back