OK, so....Why is there a "No Pop-Up Rule"?

I have a 406 SBC engine that has a slight dish piston. Car weighs a little over 2700lbs and runs 119mph in the 1/8 on a good pass (math says that's around 750hp). Is that considered a race engine? Its N/A too. I don't want to argue, I just haven't had the whole dome making more power proven to me. And I do have a dome piston engine as well, its a 505ci BBC. If I can get the compression I want without a dome, that's what I prefer. JMO
B....I do have a 604 making 1180-1200 w/o much room in the chamber remaining...:)

Not meaning to offend Young Engines but....I would consider that a bracket motor. Built on a budget for consistency. A good comp eliminator motor at 270 cubic inch will make that 750 hp. Most Comp Eliminator motors will have 16 to 17 to 1 compression ratio and a dome.

Not meaning to offend Young Engines but....I would consider that a bracket motor. Built on a budget for consistency. A good comp eliminator motor at 270 cubic inch will make that 750 hp. Most Comp Eliminator motors will have 16 to 17 to 1 compression ratio and a dome.

I would think there would be no way to get 16 to 17 to one compression without a dome in a comp eliminator, 270ci engine (since my engine has a 39cc head, and only has a little over 14 to 1 with 406ci), so I don't know how a true comparison would be made? I can get the compression I want with a flat top in the clone and predators, that's why I haven't went to a dome, However I may try one in the future.

IF....we 'got/get' a legitimate 'mod' class maybe we could get ARC or AJPE too tool-up a 'real' cylinder head....(kidding of course, good thought thou)

I'm not saying dish piston is faster than a dome piston. I said they were better "at the same compression" because they have a better burn pattern. On a ohv motor compression is critical. You can make more power with a bad burn pattern if there is enough of a compression increase. but if you can get the same compression with a better burn pattern, you will make more power. Kinda a have your cake and eat it to deal. In a perfect world we would have massive compression, totally fill up the cylinder with a evenly mixed air fuel mix at the perfect ratio. And it would all ignite at the same instance and totally burn. unfortunately we are a long way from achieving this goal so we compromise. The internal combustion engine as we use it is extremely inefficient, there are a lot of gains to be made. We are making progress though, todays engine designs are light years ahead of what we had at the turn of the century. I can't help but think that in another 50 or 100 years they will laugh at our "state of the art engines". We really need to step back once and a while and try to think out of the box, instead of just falling back on what worked 20 years ago.

Back