Old Haul trucks

JanGaLanG

Ive always wondered if they used to hand paint these business names on the sides of old farm trucks or if they used stencils. Anyone on here want to show their age?

Attachments

• IMG_20230619_215135.jpg
    IMG_20230619_215135.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 24
Ive always wondered if they used to hand paint these business names on the sides of old farm trucks or if they used stencils. Anyone on here want to show their age?
All of my fathers race cars were hand painted letters by my mother and were beautiful works of art. No stencils. I have often wanted to do a throw back look with my late model and have hand painted letters but we have a graphics guy on our crew so it never gets much traction. Nothing gets me going like hand painted letters on a vintage race car.

A few companies my father worked for had hand painted lettering on all their trucks. There was an older gentleman they hired that was absolutely incredible at hand lettering. No stencils, all free hand.

Sad this is a dying art form, that was so common back in the day on tow trucks, big rigs, countless little delivery trucks and store windows. I'm always mesmerized watching it done on youtube. a lot of time and patience went into those.

Definitely a dying art. I hand lettered cars, trucks, signs, and whatever people wanted back in the late 70's, early 80's. Learned from some of the best in Pa, used to love to watch them work. Haven't had the brushes out for some time and all my paint dried up. Lol. Been doing a lot of airbrush work lately for my buddy's son in law's pulling truck.

Attachments

• 20230415_183921~2.jpg
    20230415_183921~2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 24
Back