Old vs New

GRT29

Been out of karting a few years but looking to start back. My clone motor was built in or around 2014 and only has few races on it. Have the clone engine rules changed enough to see a power deficit when compared to 2021 built clone?

There have been rule changes over the years, some slight allowances here and there. It's worth having it freshened and updated.

Thanks, I was hoping I could just jump back in and still be somewhat competitive before I had to start spending more money.

Thanks, I was hoping I could just jump back in and still be somewhat competitive before I had to start spending more money.
If it doesnt have excessive wear you should be able to get it up to snuff for a few hundred dollars. I got into clones this past fall, sent it to the original builder for freshening up and it was pretty painless. Where are you located?

Ported heads , improved cams have been the biggest changes I would say . Then carbs . You can have fun with what you have , which I would guess is a CL2 cammed engine , but you will probably start looking for more speed once you get left behind , and that would mean spending money . Go have fun , then decide on the next move !

If it doesnt have excessive wear you should be able to get it up to snuff for a few hundred dollars. I got into clones this past fall, sent it to the original builder for freshening up and it was pretty painless. Where are you located?
Just outside the Louisville area.

Before you make changes to your engine , i would check with the tracks you plan to run at to see which rules they tech by . If ya get a ported head and they use NKA you wont have a good day in the tech shed .

Back