Older karters,,,advice?

Use to drive stock cars, stopped in the 90"s to raise family. Been racing my son in dirt karts for 8 years. He's late 20's and we have a blast. Now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna rebuild one of my karts and jump back in the seat my self. I'm early 60's. Looking forward to racing karts with him before I give up the steering wheel for good. Any older karters have advice for an older karter to be?

Last time I got in , I got out rembering it ain't as easy as you say.
Physical conditioning would be the biggest thing for me .
I'm pretty active even at that .

Last time I got in , I got out rembering it ain't as easy as you say.
Physical conditioning would be the biggest thing for me .
I'm pretty active even at that .
Yes, I'm assuming that and taking that into account. Theres a bunch of us older racers along with a bunch of younger racers that get together and race at Go Pro Motorplex in Mooresville NC a few times a year. Tho the karts are rental karts, ( about 50-55mph) that 9/10ths of a mile road course will beat on an older body. The first time out it was tough as you say, but I've continued to go there and the wear on me is much less and I get faster each time. I'll be going there more frequently this winter to get back to the physical racing demands. The 10-11 minute races on an asphalt road course are in my opinion are more demanding that the 8-9 minute races on the dirt oval. I'll find out if that conditioning helps.

Use to drive stock cars, stopped in the 90"s to raise family. Been racing my son in dirt karts for 8 years. He's late 20's and we have a blast. Now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna rebuild one of my karts and jump back in the seat my self. I'm early 60's. Looking forward to racing karts with him before I give up the steering wheel for good. Any older karters have advice for an older karter to be?
Yes I do! I have similar background and am older than you. Run open class and have ball. That way you don't have to worry about Chinese engines and quirky rules. Animal modified or open are a blast and enough power to get the (feeling) back. and a very reliable platform.

I am the same, raced stock cars until the mid 90’s. My son got into kart racing around 6 or 7 years now my daughter is also racing. This past season they talked me into racing. I’m 10 years younger.
my advice is padding in the seat, a shin guard for your elbo/bicep, and knee pads. My arm has a permanent bruise from hitting the chain guard, my knees are bruised from bracing myself against the kart body and the seat beat me up. My only goal was to not get lapped, but I had a lot of fun. Don’t regret it.

Get in shape before you go race. I thought I was in good enough shape until the first time I went to motorama. I was so exhausted I was like a rag doll in the kart. Couldn't even hold my head up to see my line. Finished in the money but almost threw up in my helmet.

How old is an "older Karter"?
62,,,,,very active. Involved in a lot of racing ventures,,,,,,still working,,,,,,walk a lot,,,,,,,play on amatuer golf tour. Still gonna prepare more for the dirt oval deal. Big goal/reward is I'll be racing against my hotshoe driving 30 year old son next spring.

62,,,,,very active. Involved in a lot of racing ventures,,,,,,still working,,,,,,walk a lot,,,,,,,play on amatuer golf tour. Still gonna prepare more for the dirt oval deal. Big goal/reward is I'll be racing against my hotshoe driving 30 year old son next spring.
As a 22yr old desk jocky I'll tell you what I learned starting in karting this year. Number 1, Start working on your flexibility now. I also play golf, and as such we both probably already work on staying limber, but it's a whole new ball game in the kart. I think this is overlooked. Number 2, start doing neck and trapezius exercises. These will help hold your head up, also get the little strap that goes under your left arm, it helps a TON. 3, keep your abs and obliques in half decent shape and you wont be so sore in the days after a race.

Lastly, and most importantly, when you are on the track, if you feel a twinge of pain that isn't common, head to the pits. A 68 year old fellow racer tore his left groin from holding himself in the kart through the bumps and decided to just keep racing, and then couldnt get out of his kart. If it doesnt feel right, it probably isnt. Other than that, go have some fun!

Get with it i am 62 also just finished outdoor season and plan on doing a little indoor, we had three generations of us on the local track Myself my son and my grandson we pulled his restrictor plate and kicked our butts! But it is the coolest video i could ever have.

I'm 72 and have been racing karts for the past 58 years, and still do. Racing a shifter kart on a tight sprint track is nearly un-doable at my age, but road racing a 206 is fine. I raced shifters in my early 50's and suffered for it!
Forearm and grip exercises. Work on your neck...lean into a 6" or so soft rubber ball against a wall, in all directions help. Learn to relax in the kart. Road races are 30 minutes long, so you have to relax early in the race. Relax your grip on the straights. Imaging walking up a long hill, imagine how you start to breath harder the longer you climb. Start breathing heavier BEFORE you need to. Maybe after the first lap or so, get into rhythmic breathing. It keeps exhaustion away longer.
Works for me anyway,
Have fun. Clark Gaynor Sr.

I'm 65, former car racer, and still going. More than the physical conditioning issues, I had the most problems with trying to drive a kart like a sprint car. Forget everything you know about racing cars and watch how the fast guys do it. In a lot of ways karts are physically easier because you don't turn the steering wheel much but also harder on your neck because of G forces.

I'm 63 and still hanging in there. I can vouch for the others here that are saying get in shape. I'm not, and I can tell! This past season I didn't get to run enough (just 5 races all year) to build up any stamina. I run on a sprint/road course, and moved into the open class the year before last. I love the speed, but it beats the hell out of me! By the end of the third heat/feature I could barely get out of the kart. Before the start of next season I want to lose 20 pounds and get working out on the weight machine. I mean no offence to my dirt oval racing brothers, but from my extremely limited dirt experience I think that is a little easier on the body than sprint racing. I find the left/right/left combinations on pavement are what beats me up the most.

For me, more than the physical side is the mental side of racing now. I raced karts back in the '80's. Back then I was hell-bent on winning (Even though I rarely did!), and more often than not went home mad when I didn't win. In fact, I got so mad about losing that I walked away from the sport and had absolutely no involvement with it whatsoever for 27 years! Then one day I decided to stop by that old kart track again and see what was going on. A good friend of mine let me take his kart out on the track to run a few laps. That's all it took, I was hooked all over again and soon had a kart of my own. This was about 10 years ago. This time I have a whole different attitude about it though. I know I'm not in my 20's any more and can't react as fast as I used to. I give it my best every time I'm out there, but I don't care where I finish - first or last. I just thank God that I'm healthy enough to still get out there and do it and enjoy my time at the track. In fact, in a way I think I drive better now than I did back then because I don't get all flustered if I start falling behind. This past season I had some pretty good duels with my son fighting for the lead. The joy of just being able to do that means a whole lot more to me than the finishing position.

Although - getting that checkered flag ahead of the boy a couple of times felt pretty good...... LOL!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Wow, my 29 year old son knew I was gonna race with him next spring. Told the wife and my son's girlfriend the news Friday and they got excited!! Not necessarily what I was expecting, but dang. Now I'm pumped up more. Heeding a lot of the given advice shared on this thread. Thanks guys. :cool:(y)

I'm 63 and still hanging in there. I can vouch for the others here that are saying get in shape. I'm not, and I can tell! This past season I didn't get to run enough (just 5 races all year) to build up any stamina. I run on a sprint/road course, and moved into the open class the year before last. I love the speed, but it beats the hell out of me! By the end of the third heat/feature I could barely get out of the kart. Before the start of next season I want to lose 20 pounds and get working out on the weight machine. I mean no offence to my dirt oval racing brothers, but from my extremely limited dirt experience I think that is a little easier on the body than sprint racing. I find the left/right/left combinations on pavement are what beats me up the most.

For me, more than the physical side is the mental side of racing now. I raced karts back in the '80's. Back then I was hell-bent on winning (Even though I rarely did!), and more often than not went home mad when I didn't win. In fact, I got so mad about losing that I walked away from the sport and had absolutely no involvement with it whatsoever for 27 years! Then one day I decided to stop by that old kart track again and see what was going on. A good friend of mine let me take his kart out on the track to run a few laps. That's all it took, I was hooked all over again and soon had a kart of my own. This was about 10 years ago. This time I have a whole different attitude about it though. I know I'm not in my 20's any more and can't react as fast as I used to. I give it my best every time I'm out there, but I don't care where I finish - first or last. I just thank God that I'm healthy enough to still get out there and do it and enjoy my time at the track. In fact, in a way I think I drive better now than I did back then because I don't get all flustered if I start falling behind. This past season I had some pretty good duels with my son fighting for the lead. The joy of just being able to do that means a whole lot more to me than the finishing position.

Although - getting that checkered flag ahead of the boy a couple of times felt pretty good...... LOL!!!!!!!!!
Totally understand Brettm57. I've been racing with a bunch of folk as I previously stated at Go Pro Motorplex in Mooresville NC. That paved roadcourse was beating on me the first few races, but now I've acclimated pretty darn well. And yes in my opinion, sprint racing is much tougher than dirt oval. However I'm going to be racing sprint at Go Pro a bunch more as part of my preparation for dirt oval.

H1....glad to hear you are back in the seat...The older guys inspire the younger guys (and older guys) to keep going and to take care of themselves. A little background before I offer any advice. I was formerly a Professional Tennis coach in my twenties and I still play regularly. I've been a General Contractor the past 30 years or so. My son and I run 6-8 Enduro races each year with the WKA, etc. and I also run my UAS kart another 15-20 events per year. BTW I recently turned 60.

Take my advice on this....call Raymond at TS Racing and tell him you want the same seat Hoppy has. He will know what your talking about. This will make a huge difference in how much effort you need to stay in the kart through the turns. I was literally exhausted after 6-8 laps in a race. On a friends advice (my crew chief) I ordered this seat and it made all the difference in the world. By not having to use my core muscles so much I am able to relax which keeps me from getting tired. Now I run 20 lap features and 30 minute enduro races with no problem. I don't even think about being tired anymore.

I too wear knee pads but I take it one step further and wear a cup also. (A mans got to protect the family jewels even at this age) . Keep up the good work. Your inspiring someone every time you get in that kart! That's my crew Chief Carl Whitehouse on the left. He has been involved in karting for 40+ years. Couldn't do it without him.

Hoppy daytona.jpg

Picture from 2019 Daytona WKA Dirt World Championships. Rain for 3 days made a mess of the track. We took some home with us!

Last edited:
H1....glad to hear you are back in the seat...The older guys inspire the younger guys to keep going and to take care of themselves. A little background before I offer any advice. I was formerly a Professional Tennis coach in my twenties and I still play regularly. My son and I run 6-8 Enduro races each year with the WKA, etc. and I also run my UAS kart another 15-20 events per year. BTW I recently turned 60.

Take my advice on this....call Raymond at TS Racing and tell him you want the same seat Hoppy has. He will know what your talking about. This will make a huge difference in how much effort you need to stay in the kart through the turns. I was literally exhausted after 6-8 laps in a race. On a friends advice (my crew chief) I ordered this seat and it made all the difference in the world. By not having to use my core muscles so much I am able to relax which keeps me from getting tired. Now I run 20 lap features and 30 minute enduro races with no problem. I don't even think about being tired anymore.

I too wear knee pads but I take it one step further and wear a cup also. Keep up the good work. Your inspiring someone every time you get in that kart! That's my crew Chief Carl Whitehouse on the left. He has been involved in karting for 40+ years. Couldn't do it without him.

View attachment 12920
Picture from 2019 Daytona WKA Dirt World Championships. Rain for 3 days made a mess of the track. We took some home with us!
Do you mind describing the difference in the seat? As a tall guy I have a hard time staying relaxed in the seat because Im holding myself up the whole time.

Back