Older Legend Vision

jacobsdad

I am looking for some assistance with my daughters kart again. Over the last few weeks her handling had been off. I think it is pushing on entry, she cant really describe what it is doing. It looks like it is loose coming off the corners, mostly 3/4 of the way and off. I am guessing it is pushing slightly coming in, but cant really see for sure.
Here are the numbers we have started with.
front 46
left 57
cross 58
1 1/2 inch front stagger
1 inch rear stagger
rr is running 1/4 inch off frame
lr is running 1 inch off the frame.
camber is .5 left front and 2.5 right front.
Today I am working on her kart to get it ready for Friday night. The problem I have now is she left for college last weekend after the races so we cant scale it to check her numbers.
I know her tires are worn out which is causing some of the problems, but with 2 races left this season I cant get new tires just yet. What should I be looking at to get a little more control for her?

If it’s looking loose off you could try sliding the left rear “IN” 1/2” and see if that helps... but if the tires are gone that’s gonna be your Achilles heel.

No set up will hook up once tires are gone no gripping properly, you'll have to go out of the box and HOPE it helps enough, If your convinced it's a push on entry lower RF neg camber to 2.25 and run 1/2 lb less air in the RF, Heads up IF the problem was not push on entry you'll know because the loose off will be worse, if so go just opposite increase RF neg camber to 2.75.

I will try that and see how it responds. The only spare tires we have left are in worse shape than what she is running. Her handling is not completely gone, she can still hold a good line but she has to work to keep it under control which is effecting her lap times. Next weekend is her championship night so I’m going to try to get tires ordered and ready to run by then.
she had someone suggest Burris tires instead of Maxxis. Everyone at the track runs Maxxis or Hoosier treads, what would be the advantage or disadvantage of Burris tires over Maxxis?

I will try that and see how it responds. The only spare tires we have left are in worse shape than what she is running. Her handling is not completely gone, she can still hold a good line but she has to work to keep it under control which is effecting her lap times. Next weekend is her championship night so I’m going to try to get tires ordered and ready to run by then.
she had someone suggest Burris tires instead of Maxxis. Everyone at the track runs Maxxis or Hoosier treads, what would be the advantage or disadvantage of Burris tires over Maxxis?
If the fast guy's and Tire guru's are on Maxxis there is NO advantage to Burris, Now the right Burris would be better than your worn out Maxxis.

We are going to stick with the Maxxis, that’s what everyone runs and other tracks we race at are Maxxis only. I ended up pulling her weight jack up a half a turn lowering cross. I moved a little weight from the left to the middle just ahead of the center of gravity. I kept the stagger where it was. That helped a little, so I lowered the camber. It was a lot better. Still not at peak with the tires but a lot better. She got 4th in the heat race, but cake off the track complaining that her engine was bogging down and had no speed. The RPMs were under 6000. She found her spark plug wire had been bumped and was stuck beside the throttle only letting it open half way.

I couldn't find any mention of total weight, so I used 320 pounds as a guest. The percentages stay the same regardless of the total weight. I don't know what's right, but I can see some discrepancies. The front and rear cross are way lower than most I've seen. Might look at that.
jacobocsdad_1 8 22 20.jpg

Alvin, I thought I replied to you already but it didn’t post.
Her total weight is about 385. Class minimum is 370. The numbers I posted may not be completely accurate, I use 4 cheap dollar store scales. I zero them to a known 10 pound weight, but there is no gaurantee they are accurate, more of a ballpark figure.

Back