Open Bearings

I remove the metal shields, but re-use the rubber shields. Same for front bearings.

Our stuff gets removed each week, soaked in a sonic cleaner, then sprayed with Simple Green and a toothbrush to scrub out as much as I can. Rinse and flush with water, blow dry with compressed air, then re-lube and snap the rubber shield back in to place.

I am trying to figure out if I should put the seals back on mine or run them open. A lot of people I know ru them open and spray them clean and lube them.

I am trying to figure out if I should put the seals back on mine or run them open. A lot of people I know ru them open and spray them clean and lube them.

Not sure why you would want to run them open, all you're doing is inviting premature wear and failure.

If you clean and lube them properly and install the rubber seal again, they're good to go for the whole night.

I agree with Jpm .
You can do it either way .
Add lubricant too your budget . Tri Flo is expensive .
Third option leave the seals in .

Really it is personal choice as to what you want to do. Personally, I never spent more than about $120 on a full set of bearings, so to me they were more of a disposable item. I ran mine with one seal in, the other side out, and when they got gritty I replace them. Anything cheaper than a set of tires is disposable IMHO.

Be aware of taking off and putting back on the rubber coverings. Over time after squishing them back in I found it created drag and actually slowed my axle down. I ended up changing seals out every couple races. But I was also doing this with everything attached. Disassemble everything and you'd probably have better angles to pick the rubbers off and not mess them up lol.

Be aware of taking off and putting back on the rubber coverings. Over time after squishing them back in I found it created drag and actually slowed my axle down. I ended up changing seals out every couple races. But I was also doing this with everything attached. Disassemble everything and you'd probably have better angles to pick the rubbers off and not mess them up lol.

I use the tip of a razor blade to pick the seals out and carefully wipe them. Havent had any issues distorting them when I use that versus a flat screw driver or pick.

Really it is personal choice as to what you want to do. Personally, I never spent more than about $120 on a full set of bearings, so to me they were more of a disposable item. I ran mine with one seal in, the other side out, and when they got gritty I replace them. Anything cheaper than a set of tires is disposable IMHO.
How often did you replace rear bearings when running them without the seal on one side?

Replaceable bearing shields. I referred to them in your other thread.
Makes life so much easier!
AND no drag.

We remove the seals and shields from the insides of the front hub bearings -- they serve no good purpose.
If you want to use the seals, save them to use as replacements for the outsides of the bearing where they are exposed.
I wouldn't want to run the bearings open if you're in a dirty/dusty environment. To much chance for problems.

Replaceable bearing shields are really the way to go in my opinion.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I had to think real hard before I would attempt to post on this subject. Started not to post anything.
But here goes.
I prefer CV Joint grease with all the seals installed. Only clean them when and IF the sand actually gets to the balls and races. You can hear it.
I know they will not spins as long on the stand as ceramic bearing with light oil.
But everyone that I know, races on the track with 325 to 450 lbs on them. Grease is much better than thin oil at those pressures. Then going into the turn the right front an right rear have unreal side pressure on them. Sand, grit is the worst enemy of a bearing. It will create more drag than the grease that comes new bearings.
Now send all hate mail to BR549.

Same here. For the cost of replacement bearings it isn't worth the extra work. I leave my bearings sealed as they are from the factory. They come off the kart when cleaning it so they never see water. As soon as one starts to drag the slightest bit I replace them.
Think about how much time you are spending each week to clean bearings. I used to waste all that time also but not anymore!

Same here. For the cost of replacement bearings it isn't worth the extra work. I leave my bearings sealed as they are from the factory. They come off the kart when cleaning it so they never see water. As soon as one starts to drag the slightest bit I replace them.
Think about how much time you are spending each week to clean bearings. I used to waste all that time also but not anymore!
If you remove your bearings every time you clean your kart is spending the extra 15 seconds to spray them with break cleaner and lube all that big a deal? my bearings spin faster with fresh lube and no seals than any new sealed bearing. to each his own

If you remove your bearings every time you clean your kart is spending the extra 15 seconds to spray them with break cleaner and lube all that big a deal? my bearings spin faster with fresh lube and no seals than any new sealed bearing. to each his own
Personally I maintain mine as follows, spray them out with WD40, and if I have it, spray in some of WD40 PFTE "Dry" lube. Done. Takes all of 30 seconds and they spin like crazy. The instant they start to drag, they go in the spares box for a new one.

I remove my axle and front hubs. I spray the bearings with WD-40 and wipe clean. I never remove the factory seals.

I use the tip of a razor blade to pick the seals out and carefully wipe them. Havent had any issues distorting them when I use that versus a flat screw driver or pick.
Yeaaaaaaaa I use a pick and kind of just go after it lol. I could definitely use more care for sure but wanted to let OP know that surprisingly those covers can cause more drag than you'd think on the bearings.

Back