Open flathead

Colt sr

I have a few flathead blocks that would be in need to be rebuilt to be competitive. I am way too heavy to run the flathead class at my local track. I was wondering what all it would take to have one built for me to run in the open class and be competitive. Now i do not plan on building it myself. But could i run a standard 2 disc clutch? 35 chain? I guess could someone tell me if this is worth the venture or wait.

"Open" as in run-whatcha-brung or UAS...or open flathead.
To build a "good" open flathead costs some big bucks.
They're bad fast, sound mean, and cool as anything; but won't hang with opens on most tracks.
As far as the 2 disc....sure, you could run one -- might want to use a steel basket though, and if you build up a healthy open, you'll likely want a 3 disc.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian made some good points.
You need a good OHV to be competitive in the engine department.
There are different definitions for an open engine these days.
Some are limited to 14.5 Cubic inches.
Some have a 500cc max.
Some must use a cast industrial engine as the starting point.
Some do not allow billet blocks.
Some do not allow billet heads.
etc, etc

Then there's the stock appearing class.

Here are some pictures of some of the parts i have on the shelf for Briggs OHV engines if you choose to go that route.
http://www.fastermotors.net/206superstockenginekit.htmlhttp://www.fastermotors.net/Billetheads.htmlhttp://www.fastermotors.net/BIGVALVEHEADS.HTMLhttp://www.fastermotors.net/MODEL15WITH3INCHBORE.HTMLEtc
Etc

Our local track really has no rules for opens but i would prefer to have an open that would qualify me to run uas if i decided to. What is a good engine that i could run that wont break the bank?

I don't know what your bidget is, but if you're looking for cheapest...Bone stock 450 motocross engine. Should have between $1000 & $1500 in it from a crashed bike. Sell the rest of the bike parts on ebay or similar sites and essentially you could have a free race engine that makes 75 HP on pump gas and will last 100,000 miles. As long as you're willing to keep the transmission or do the work yourself to gut it, UAS racing doesn't get much cheaper than that.
They're big, they're heavy, they might not be the baddest engine currently in UAS, but for affordability, that's the route I'd suggest.
A nice little small block open (ohv or flathead) will run you $2500 from most any builder and still won't touch that 450 on a big track.

I don't know what your bidget is, but if you're looking for cheapest...Bone stock 450 motocross engine. Should have between $1000 & $1500 in it from a crashed bike. Sell the rest of the bike parts on ebay or similar sites and essentially you could have a free race engine that makes 75 HP on pump gas and will last 100,000 miles. As long as you're willing to keep the transmission or do the work yourself to gut it, UAS racing doesn't get much cheaper than that.
They're big, they're heavy, they might not be the baddest engine currently in UAS, but for affordability, that's the route I'd suggest.
A nice little small block open (ohv or flathead) will run you $2500 from most any builder and still won't touch that 450 on a big track.
I found a older 440 snowmobile engine for quite cheap. I know its air cooled but would an engine like that work?

Sure.
There was a guy several years ago that ran one indoors -- open pipe, when that thing barked, it echoed in the building!

Fitting these bigger engines up to the kart is the biggest challenge.

I found a older 440 snowmobile engine for quite cheap. I know its air cooled but would an engine like that work?
Most sled engines are twin cylinder, and im pretty sure its allowed, but only to 305cc's for piston port, and lower than that for reed valve engines

Last edited:
Jimbo brings up a good point on UAS rules -- If you want to travel with them or run for points, you'll have to follow their guidelines.
For local opens or run-whatcha-brung here in Indiana, it does not matter.

I guess i could just run local rwyb here til i get the adjustment from running flatheads to opens down. Then i could switch to uas after at least a season running the more powerful engines thanks everyone

Back