Open Modified Engine Timing

How much of an affect as far as on track can you tell with advancing or retarding the ignition timing? Say you go from 30dgrs to 38 dgrs engine timing. One what is the initial change you will see and also can you see it from the jump of the race? We've found the correct gearing and everything but just can not take off with the rest of the field.

Id say you would need an adjustable flywheel to prove that out the best .
If your at 30* my thought is its pretty low .
Clutch seems more likely.

Get your clutch set to come in at about 200rpm under peak torque rpm and you should see an improvement in how the kart takes off, I have an adjustable timing flywheel on my open animal, most honestly have it set at about 33-34 degrees and have never moved it...

You can help some on lower rpm by increasing timing, sure.
Next question - is this a PVL ignition system that does not retard, or a coil that retard as rpm increases? (makes a difference)
How much compression/quench are you trying to run, does your cam need a lot of ignition timing, fuel blend you are trying to run???

Then, forget your current gearing, because you have just moved the torque (and subsequently power) curves enough that your gearing will need to change with it.

If it's slow on the starts, it could be a myriad of other problems (clutch, cam, gearing, lean on bottom, exhaust, etc.) aside from the slow ignition timing. Yes, 30* sounds awfully slow for ignition on an open, that's more what a stocker runs. now, why was it set at 30* initially? Builder knew something that we all don't about your build?

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com