Open tire rule. Maxxis vs Vega (any tire)

Just don't lock your Vegas down -- they get slow when they get too warm.
If you get a caution, they'll go like gangbusters over the Maxxis for a couple of laps, then slow down again as the Maxxis guys get faster.

Rule of thumb:
Track needing a tire 50 duro and below, Vega Yellow.
Track needing a tire above 50 duro, Maxxis.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

What tire are they winning on ?
Watching that video and all the yellows, thick Vegas would hold heat the best.
We've won 3 of 4 features and we are on Yellow Vegas. I don't know what other karts are using.

I just don't want to rest too easy and assume that our current tire game is best.

Vegas are best until it dries out to much and based on the video it looks past that point to me, Maxxis Pinks
Based on that video you think the track looks dry? I'm sure out perspective is different as you've seen many more than me. This track was not as dry as most in our area. However, if this looks dry to the point that Pinks may be better then I want to consider this. Possibly could it warrant Vegas for heat races. (we go out first always) Then possibly go to Maxxis for the feature.

Based on that video you think the track looks dry? I'm sure out perspective is different as you've seen many more than me. This track was not as dry as most in our area. However, if this looks dry to the point that Pinks may be better then I want to consider this. Possibly could it warrant Vegas for heat races. (we go out first always) Then possibly go to Maxxis for the feature.
Yes this happens at many tracks early spring and fall, vegas heat races then maxxis features, I'm not saying it's real dry, I'm just saying it looks to me that it's past vegas still working best.

Question:
Are the Vegas giving up late in a run while competitors on Maxxis are getting better on long runs?
That could be your answer right there.
Personally, I've never seen the 'Burg bite up enough for Maxxis to be fast(est) without absolutely killing them with internal and external.
Then again, everyone was on Hoosier A40s there killed with prep for the past few years. We certainly had a good program down for them.
I wouldn't be opposed to trying the Hoosier FK when the track gets clean and hard over the Maxxis Pinks. They'll still take a good bit of work to make them hit there though.

Question:
Are the Vegas giving up late in a run while competitors on Maxxis are getting better on long runs?
That could be your answer right there.
Personally, I've never seen the 'Burg bite up enough for Maxxis to be fast(est) without absolutely killing them with internal and external.
Then again, everyone was on Hoosier A40s there killed with prep for the past few years. We certainly had a good program down for them.
I wouldn't be opposed to trying the Hoosier FK when the track gets clean and hard over the Maxxis Pinks. They'll still take a good bit of work to make them hit there though.
I'm asking because I think the Vegas are best right now. I think people are running Burris, Hoosiers and a few of us on Vegas. I know we are better than those two. Hell, we even got accused of cheating in a Jr3 race because we ran the leader down from last place after a caution and passed with ease and won by a straight away. They were on Hoosiers and cried foul as we were scaling. So, I'm expecting everyone to be running Yellow Vegas soon. I'm just trying to prepare for the next move if needed.

A40s were never the right choice for that track. As hard as they are, they last forever, sure, but they are not fast on low bite dirt (ever.) There's a reason that they are also the spec tire of choice for champs on pavement and work well on high bite syrup. Even with killing them with internal and external, they'll not have the speed of Yellows on low bite dirt. Now, if the track gets between Yellows and Maxxis, then the Hoosier FK can be a good choice. (but you won't see A40s get fast there because you can't build enough tire temp to get that compound to work)

If your doing good on Vegas, try to stay on them as long as possible. Maxxis are a lot of work, fast only at certain times and a throw away tire.

Back