open tire rule ?

wanting input good or bad on tracks going to an open tire rule. has it hurt kart count or helped?
When I got into karting the tracks in my area were open tire. We raced as a hobby and were able to run the tires that came with the kart. I didn't really know any better. Fast forward a few years and 500 miles south the tracks that were open at that time only ran Burris 33 on flat karts. I didn't care for the rule but had to comply in order to run. As we got more serious about racing I'm glad the tire rule is in place. 1 brand and compound but several sets of tires of different age, profile, thickness, and durometer.

A new track opened up recently and they are an open tire rule. They're operating more like a backyard track. It's a nice racing surface but more of a laid back atmosphere. I think their approach with an open tire rule works for them. If one of the more competitive tracks went to the open tire rule I don't know that the racers would like it. There's so much to know about tires that it further complicate matters. Complication = less interest.

In summary, I think you have to understand who will race there and what identity you want the track to have. An open tire can work but if it's going to be perceived as a financial detriment to the racers it may be best to go to the tire rule.

this weekend Dawgwood is running both Burris AND Maxxis money races on the same night. will be one long night but am very interested to see the lap times of both tires.

this weekend Dawgwood is running both Burris AND Maxxis money races on the same night. will be one long night but am very interested to see the lap times of both tires.

Attachments

• 375DDFB7-D48B-4963-A382-FB7DF029649A.jpeg
    375DDFB7-D48B-4963-A382-FB7DF029649A.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 15
  • C5538213-C489-44E4-AFF0-4A41A9287390.jpeg
    C5538213-C489-44E4-AFF0-4A41A9287390.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 16
The thing about thinking a tire rule track will save you money isn't as it seems at first glance. If everyone is running the same tire, the guys winning will be on new tires, no matter what brand they are. So you're still buying tires.
More times than not with Burris 33s you'll find this not to be the case new always better, one year older or even two will be faster, however to be best prepared at some point you bought lots of tires.

The only tire rule that’s any good is the one where the track hands you your tires in the grid, you bolt them on and hit the track. The. When you pull off in the scales area, you unbolt and hand them back to the track. Tire rules by brand don’t make any sense. Tire rules by what you can do to a tire does, that what saves racers money. At an open tire track, eventually everyone will learn what the fastest tire is everyone will be on that tire, rule or no rule. The difference is, who can afford to buy a set or two of new tires every week and who knows what chemicals work best.

the new tire deal does not apply to Burris. you scoff at the price of our tires, but we use them for years. typically, the fastest qualifying burris lap will be a year or two old tire . + older burris are worth money unlike old Maxxis. anyone who races these two tires with a tire rule does NOT want to trade tire rules. once you're hooked on one you turn your nose to using the other. never do the internal deal with burris so i save money on tire rollers, hot boxes and internal prep.

wanting input good or bad on tracks going to an open tire rule. has it hurt kart count or helped?
I think all races should be open tire rule, we run some big races here and there, but we cant buy maxxis for this race, burris for that race, reaper tires for one race, we should be able to run what we have, not all of us have deep pockets, it hard enough to run with BIG boys, I know it don't matter what tire rule it is, the pros will have tons of new tires anyway. What we need instead of a tire rule, is a tire limit, so some cant show up with unlimited tires, you have to race on the tire you qualify on.

I've ran everything, no one saves money on a tire rule, no one saves money on open tire. It's not about saving money, it's the perception of saving money. That's all everyone cares about, there are no savings.

If the budget allows, it will be spent. If someone gave you 100k to spend racing karts, you'd find a way to spend it. Most of it would involves tires. I don't care what your budget is, most of it will go towards tires. Because we know that's where the speed is. It's as simple as that. So it's all about perception.

Vega can run most of a season depending on location. Cost involve cutting, inside, and outside prep.
Maxxis are a 1-3 race tire. Costs involve inside, and outside prep.
Burris can run for seasons, costs involve cutting and outside prep.
There is almost negligible difference in the initial investments, and the longterm cost are pretty close. Because, if you can purchase another set of tires, you'll do it no matter what brand you're on. That's the equalizer that no one wants to talk about. It's the pocket book. If the funds are there, you'll spend them...... Whether you "NEED" new tires or not.

You just have to race within your budget and accept that if you have the knowledge your budget can have wins at certain levels of competition.

As @kartboy63 said above, the only way to save money is limit the tires you race on to the ones you qualify on. But, most will still have 15+ sets of tires, lol.

More times than not with Burris 33s you'll find this not to be the case new always better, one year older or even two will be faster, however to be best prepared at some point you bought lots of tires.

Very true, Ken and thats where I am tire-wise. No, they don't have to be brand new to be perfectly fine tires. I buy a couple of new sets a year and just rotate them into the cycle of pretty-new tires we run.

Dawgwood speedway in Chatsworth Georgia is doing an impounded tire class, where you have to buy new tires at the track, mount them up, and they never leave the tech area, they put them in a building and lock them up over the weekend.

You take them off the cart before going back to your trailer and bolt them on before hitting the track
NO PREP!

We ran shooky at ben hur where they had you run the same tires all night. It was nice unless you caught a flat or bent rim in heats. On the open tire rule just because maxxis are fast one night doesn't mean they will be fast every night. So you have to know how to read the track and put on which tire best suits track conditions.

I agree. I bought 2 sets of 2021's and a set of new in the wrapper 2018's two years ago, haven't ran them much, and I wouldn't be afraid to put them against new tires at big races now. None have more than a few races on them, and we ran them last night against plenty fast top runners and they held their own.

Back