Open to suggestion Flathead

mikerr2004

Got a raptor block in a buyout, do the disassembly, and low and behold has put Loctite on the crank/flywheel! Don't need to save the flywheel, I hope to save the crank. Any suggestions other than heat? I've been beating it with a brass hammer, 2lb hammer, and a big ol' copper punch, which has never failed me before, to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a flywheel knocker tool and screw it on the crank, all the way down, then back it off one turn. Then use a crow bar behind the flywheel to apply light pressure the flywheel as if to pry it off. Don’t pull too hard you may crack the block. Now, with light pressure on the flywheel, whack the knocker tool with a 2lb hammer. It should pop loose.

I would use a combo of heat and hammer.
Concentrate the heat where the nut goes
I don't think it will take too much heat to break
the Loctite loose.
I Loctite my wheels studs and a couple of seconds is all it takes.

Loctite needs heat to remove it.
If it's red Loctite, it will take a lot of heat with a high temp heat gun pointed right at the threads to get it to melt.
Heat until very hot, thread the knocker over the threads and back off half turn, then really whack the end of the crank/knocker with your 2 pound hammer and it should pop loose. I hate putting pry bars behind the flywheel. If you suspend the engine by it's flywheel in a press or similar fixture, that will help considerably. Just the weight of the short block against the flywheel will help pop the flywheel loose when you hit the knocker.
You might also be surprised at how much the crank endplay changes after just a few hard hits. :eek:

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back