Open Trailers

EthanP3

Anyone got pictures/ideas for open trailers for karting? I have a utility trailer that I'm thinking of modifying.

Anyone got pictures/ideas for open trailers for karting? I have a utility trailer that I'm thinking of modifying.
We are going from no trailer (back of a van) to an open trailer. My trailer is narrow enough to put the karts on sideways, on the rails that go length ways. Then I can shove all my tires in between the karts and the deck of the trailer. 1 waterproof tote for suits and stuff I don't want to get wet. I plan to zip tie plastic sandwiches bags to the air filter if it even looks like rain or just cap the carbs. The rest can get wet imo, it'll need cleaned and lubed anyway.
That leaves the bed open for stands and canopies or whatever.
Like to keep the vehicle for helmets and food for the kids and not much else.

Also this is for 2 or 3 karts and the only way I can haul all 3, is sideways.

Hope this helps and glad I'm not the only one with an open trailer, it amazes me how many people have $10k plus trailers, but it's all good! I would too if I could!

We actually have carried 3 kart sideways and have been using this trailer since 2014

Attachments

• received_10203877075766515.jpeg
    received_10203877075766515.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 103
We actually have carried 3 kart sideways and have been using this trailer since 2014
To add this is an old boat trailer repurposed to a flat bed trailer. It's fun going to the track, parking next to a 10000 dollar trailer and cleaning house. It doesn't matter how much you spend on a hauler it all matters whether you have the right equipment to win.

We are going from no trailer (back of a van) to an open trailer. My trailer is narrow enough to put the karts on sideways, on the rails that go length ways. Then I can shove all my tires in between the karts and the deck of the trailer. 1 waterproof tote for suits and stuff I don't want to get wet. I plan to zip tie plastic sandwiches bags to the air filter if it even looks like rain or just cap the carbs. The rest can get wet imo, it'll need cleaned and lubed anyway.
That leaves the bed open for stands and canopies or whatever.
Like to keep the vehicle for helmets and food for the kids and not much else.

Also this is for 2 or 3 karts and the only way I can haul all 3, is sideways.

Hope this helps and glad I'm not the only one with an open trailer, it amazes me how many people have $10k plus trailers, but it's all good! I would too if I could!
We have put trash bags over the complete engine to include clutch after we found water in our oil after driving through a rainstorm home one night. Normally we pull engine and set in cab of truck if chance of rain. Don't like seeing a 500+ dollar engine trashed because we were lazy. To add to this we run a tarp over the karts themselves when chance of rain.

That trailer gives me the same feeling I used to get when I saw a late model or sprint car on an open trailer. Those days seem long gone, I didn't care who it was, when I saw an open trailer, that was my guy for the night.

I knew it was a boat trailer too, but it was hard to tell at first glance. Looks great, love the tire rack.

I was always told you can't take your trailer to victory lane, no matter what it cost.

That trailer gives me the same feeling I used to get when I saw a late model or sprint car on an open trailer. Those days seem long gone, I didn't care who it was, when I saw an open trailer, that was my guy for the night.

I knew it was a boat trailer too, but it was hard to tell at first glance. Looks great, love the tire rack.

I was always told you can't take your trailer to victory lane, no matter what it cost.
Gotta love when you are driving down the interstate and how many crazy looks you get passing nearly everyone at 80 mph. Lmao

Gotta love when you are driving down the interstate and how many crazy looks you get passing nearly everyone at 80 mph. Lmao
I can't stand awesome race cars in enclosed trailers, like at least put a sight window in the side so I can see it!!

Appreciate your water proofing advice, saves me a lot of time.

I can't stand awesome race cars in enclosed trailers, like at least put a sight window in the side so I can see it!!

Appreciate your water proofing advice, saves me a lot
Yeah I would advise that you buy the more expensive tarps the thin ones last maybe a trip to the track. And if you are hauling tools, backup engines, ect in bed of truck tarp it as well.

I used a small open "dump" style trailer. Put a truck tool box that mounted on the rails across the bed on the front, mounted above the sides so the front of the kart could go under it. Tire rack mounted to the tool box. Worked well. I would send a pic but the file size is too large. The issue was I could only carry one kart. The best thing with my enclosed is the lights. I found a cheap old used trailer that was a kart trailer and it was lit up inside. If I went back I would have a way of mounting lights. Makes pack up and tie down much easier. (And late repairs)

Here is our setup, it is a former boat trailer that we built a 4x9ish bed on it with a tool box. I carry the tent, chairs, tires and generator in the back of the truck. I also only take what I only need, I only carry extra bolts that fit the kart and tools for those bolts. Wish I had a smaller tot to wash tires and a extra tool box.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230217_202323.jpg
    20230217_202323.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 81
My buddy has a double stacker open trailer. Has a tire rack and tool storage in front. Dont have any pics with karts on it but have these..

Attachments

• IMG_6907.jpg
    IMG_6907.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6909.jpg
    IMG_6909.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6908.jpg
    IMG_6908.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 50
when I first started back Karting I had a 4x8 trailer that grew and I was pulling it with a Ford Focus . when I finished with it I built about a 12" tall box , The kart was on top and the top opened for all my tools and parts . my second trailer was a old Pop-up camper , gut it out , put a tail gate on it and pull it with a small pickup

Appreciate your water proofing advice, saves me a lot of time.
If you had +100K in a car would you tow it on an open trailer? I think open trailers are cool too but if I had as much into a car as some people do then I would try and save up for an inclosed trailer. But if its just go karts I would use a open trailer. I am not a fan of putting moeny into something just for it to be on an open trailer though.

Back