Opening old tires up?

have to say that you might not be worried about these chemicals now, but later in life when you can't breath and have trouble focusing, you'll look back and see that maybe you shouldn't have done it. it's like smoking....no one worries now, but when they get diagnosed with cancer, then they blame everyone but themselves!

give the chemicals a rest guys....at least with the bottled prep that's on the market, you run a lot less of a risk than mixing this crap in your bathtub. you risking too much for so little. if a marketed prep drops the points like weddle racing says, then why are you trying to get your self hurt but making your own?

bat crap crazy if you ask me.

famous last words "hey guys watch this!"

I'm not knowledgeable on Burris, but from 75 to 45 duro in a short time seems the tire might be loaded up with prep for an old tire ? Perhaps that's all the prep the tire will take ? I haven't seen where you have your goal duro listed. What duro are you trying to acheive ?

sometimes i think that trying to explain how dangerous messing with chemicals to get 5 points lower on your tires is a waste. people will naturally do what they want. mixing these chemicals is a bad idea....very bad. personally, i don't want to be on the track with you after you've concocted your home brew and may be suffering the affects of chmical poisoning. you're a danger to yourself and everyone around you.....and you may not even know it....

water....the most lethal substance in the world. think about it. you drink it and yet, in the it can be a gas, a liquid and a solid. it can save lives and it can kill. it can clean your hands, yet can cut through quarter inch boiler plate steel. i think i'll let good ole water clean my tires so that i can prep with something that others have already prove to work instead of creating something that can harm me or you....

sometimes i think that trying to explain how dangerous messing with chemicals to get 5 points lower on your tires is a waste. people will naturally do what they want. mixing these chemicals is a bad idea....very bad. personally, i don't want to be on the track with you after you've concocted your home brew and may be suffering the affects of chmical poisoning. you're a danger to yourself and everyone around you.....and you may not even know it....

water....the most lethal substance in the world. think about it. you drink it and yet, in the it can be a gas, a liquid and a solid. it can save lives and it can kill. it can clean your hands, yet can cut through quarter inch boiler plate steel. i think i'll let good ole water clean my tires so that i can prep with something that others have already prove to work instead of creating something that can harm me or you....

Most of the available good preps were home brews at one time.

You're going to kill those tires putting all that on the outside of them. The other guy probably worked his tires inside & out,and has something he can wipe on for bite.

Ok i agree that maybe I have them overloaded, I was shooting for 30 just to see if we could do it..... On the other hand we haven't used heat or prepped the inside yet so do any of you have any home brew inside prep ideas? How fast does inside prep work?

true....at one time, every prep on the market was the brain child of someone sitting in thier shop and thinking "what would havppen if i put these thigns in a pot and gave it a stir!"......but refining that has lead to a market full of prep that can be safely handled and applied. it would be better to call one of them and ask what they recommend for your particular tire. what works for me and the way i use it, might not work at all for you.

again, if you're gonna use a bottle of gunk that you threw together.....then let me know, i'll go fishin that night because if you don't know what your using or what your doing, then you're gonna get yourself or someone else hurt........and it ain't gonna be me!!!

just my thinking, but your stupid if you think that beause someone told you to throw this and that in a bucket and slop it on the tires will work......but then it's useless to bring this up because you've already made your mind up to do it....

the idea is to get the crap out of the tire so that you can apply prep to get that bite your looking for. this can be SAFELY done with any of the products out there now. you don't have to go home brewing anything anymore to get results. mixing a hash-mash of stuff that is know to be poisionous and harmful is just plain stupid! you want your tires clean and open? get some degunk or any other degreaser, spray it on and let it sit.....might need to do it more than once to get all the crap out of the tire....then when you have it cleaned the way that you want....apply the prep inside and outside according to what the prep and the tire companies recommend for your setup. there's not need to go mixing up stuff that can potentially set your butt on fire, cause you to black out, cause you to become mentally confused....or possibly end your life!! it's just not worth it! not when you can buy a bottle of stuff that has already been shown to give you the results that you want!

just my own thoughts.....

the idea is to get the crap out of the tire so that you can apply prep to get that bite your looking for. this can be SAFELY done with any of the products out there now. you don't have to go home brewing anything anymore to get results. mixing a hash-mash of stuff that is know to be poisionous and harmful is just plain stupid! you want your tires clean and open? get some degunk or any other degreaser, spray it on and let it sit.....might need to do it more than once to get all the crap out of the tire....then when you have it cleaned the way that you want....apply the prep inside and outside according to what the prep and the tire companies recommend for your setup. there's not need to go mixing up stuff that can potentially set your butt on fire, cause you to black out, cause you to become mentally confused....or possibly end your life!! it's just not worth it! not when you can buy a bottle of stuff that has already been shown to give you the results that you want!

just my own thoughts.....
While I have yet to see a Material Safety Data Sheet reference on any can of prep, I expect that given the nature of what is required to soften a tire, there is little, if any, difference in the safety of commercially available preps and the safety of homemade preps. Personally, I make no distinction in how I handle or treat either variety. I expect that if prep suppliers had Material Safety Data Sheets available for their products, the reading would be no less hairy than reading the MSDSs for the ingredients for homemade preps. I would suggest readers treat all of them the ways you have suggested treating homade preps, as I doubt that commercially marketed preps are significantly, if any, less dangerous to handle, breath fumes from, expose to ignition sources, etc.

prep on prep on curiosity is the mother of invention . its raceing . you guys buying prep make me wonder . 20 bucks a quart??? what do you spend on oil??? if you drink too much water in california you will get cancer . prepvthectires im interested in what you find im a welderchave any of you concerned antipreppers ever read the msds on a box of7018 welding rods ?? i picked that number because there really common. if you do youll probably wear a mask to breath in a state that allows welding. give me a break. some one let me know how tovraise the duro ie make em hard and keep the grippy.

I think deep down all the premade stuff is all mineral spirits and food coloring lol

If its bite you need, FTS Black Bite is very hard to beat, as well as Track Tac SST5 (purple) or Orange. I use more black bite than either of the other 2, but all of them have their time to be used. The SST5 will give you a ton of bite and can lock you down real quick if you arent careful, i rarely ever use it, but when i do its either when the track is sloppy wet or when i cut it 50/50 with acrysol. Also, Liquid Speed 3 or 4 is good for this time of the year when the track is cold and/or wet and gives alot of bite but i wouldnt use either of those once the track gains some bite or has a prep groove on it, or you will get locked down quick. Learn how to read your tires, they can tell you everything you need to know and can tell you what you need to do or use. If you hear the tires crying or squalling in the turns, theyr too soft or biting too much and you need to either jack up the air or go to harder tires. Its all a game, you just have to experiment and find out what works. Dont mess with the homebrews and all that crap, go with something trusted and used by many. Learn the smell of different preps and walk around the pits at your track and try to catch a whiff of what someone who runs up front consistently is using, thats a good way to find out what prep you need to be on for that track and those conditions. If you see someone roll up to the grid with their tires dripping wet, thats a good giveaway that he/she is on some good ol goat pee lol. Goat is hard to beat at times, but there is definately safer and better stuff out there to be used if you can avoid the goat.

Get something that you can work the tires with thru the week to build bite in them, that is the best way to get bite in the tires. Something like Track Tac Black Sand is great for building bite without dropping the duro of the tires a whole lot. Keep in mind that soft tires or low duro numbers does not always mean they have bite, i can make a set of tires that punch 65 or 70 have just as much bite as a set of gumball tires that punch 30, its all in the way you go about building that bite. Venom Bite Blue is another good prep for building bite but it will drop the duro a little, Venom Soak is also good for adding bite while dropping the duro a little more.

Ok i agree that maybe I have them overloaded, I was shooting for 30 just to see if we could do it..... On the other hand we haven't used heat or prepped the inside yet so do any of you have any home brew inside prep ideas? How fast does inside prep work?

Inside prep works pretty quick if you use a tire roller inside a hotbox so that you can apply heat to the tires while rolling them. You prep the inside so the tires will last and not give up, and you prep the outside to build bite and get the duro down to where you want it. I rarely ever do any prepping internally, most of what i do is done from the outside using a wax applicator and wiping it on. I start on sunday and prep sunday and monday, then leave my tires for the rest of the week to cure so they are ready for racing on saturday. Keep the tires resurfaced every couple of weeks so the prep soaks in good and quickly.

homebrew or commercial....we all have to take care of ourselves to be able to race! the two chemicals originally spoken about here are very dangerous to work with. this was my point...great care should be taken when working with any chemicals, but mixing two that are juist plain bad isn't the way to go! you risk too much on a cool evening in your shop, slopping these two on your tires in hopes of getting more grip. that's just too dangeroous!

Dont kid yourself Walt has a homebrew he wont tell you about

i already know about it, but i dont use homebrews, i use whats been proven and used by many, and thats what works best for me. I dont want something someone made in their garage i want something thats been tested and refined time and time again and is the best product they can give me. Im just not into wasting money on something that may or may not work, i want something i know will work.

Do you have a problem with me or something or am i just reading your posts wrong? seems like everytime i post something in a thread, you post something to argue with me about it or something like that. Im not trying to argue with you or anyone else and aint trying to act like i know more than anyone else, just trying to help people out when i can because i got alot of help when i was learning and it helps alot instead of wasting time making mistakes. Everyone has their right to their own opinion, dont give me crap about mine as i dont give you crap about yours, thats all i ask.

Back